FALL IS HERE, BRING ON THE PUMPKIN SOUP!
Autumn pumpkin soup with a Fall harvest salad on today’s #LunchBreakLIVE! Enjoy a warm bowl of satisfying soup paired with the perfect salad for a complete, filling, and healthy meal that’s quick and easy to put together. Vegan chef Felicia Slattery, an award-winning home cook who began her adventures in the kitchen at a young age, shares this incredible recipe with us. Aren’t we lucky! Let’s take a look at how it’s done…
COOKING SINCE SHE WAS A KID
Felicia Slattery is an award-winning home cook who began her adventures in the kitchen as a kid. In high school, she took every cooking class offered, worked in restaurants through high school and college (and beyond), took cooking classes in Paris, France, at Le Cordon Bleu, and began her first food blog in 2013. She is the best-selling author of 8 books, including her two cookbooks, “Plant-Based Slow Cooker Cookbook,” and “Plant-Based Instant Pot Cookbook,” both available on Amazon and everywhere books are sold. A professional speaker and public speaking coach, thanks to a necessary “pandemic pivot,” she is living her dream of developing a cooking show on her YouTube Channel, Plant-Based Home Cooking. You can learn more about her at PlantBasedHomeCooking.com and join her free Facebook group Plant-Based Home Cooking with Felicia Slattery, where she regularly shares her recipes, her stories, and helps others discover the joy of living a healthy plant-based lifestyle.
VEGAN PUMPKIN SOUP, PERFECT FOR FALL
Have some vegan pumpkin soup before heading out to trick or treat on Halloween, or on a cool fall evening while cozying up on the couch, or for a holiday dinner party as a starter dish…whenever you choose to indulge in this creamy bowl of Autumn heaven, you will be satisfied and filled with all the warm and fuzzy Fall flavors and vibes. It is a super easy soup to make, and pair it with Felicia’s healthy harvest salad and you have a complete, healthy meal.
PUMPKIN SOUP WITH FALL HARVEST SALAD
- For Soup:
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 large or 6 medium garlic cloves pressed or minced
- 2 14 ounce cans plain pumpkin
- 4 cups 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 14 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pepitas green pumpkin seeds (optional, for garnish)
- For Salad:
- 1-2 handfuls baby kale
- 1-2 handfuls baby spinach
- 1-2 hearts of romaine chopped
- 1 fresh pear diced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries raisins, or currants
- 1 14 ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed*
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Maple syrup
- In a Dutch oven or other large pot, dry sauté onions over medium-high heat until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the broth and pumpkin, cover and allow the soup to come to a boil, stirring occasionally. After the soup boils, pour in the coconut milk, stir well, and heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Blend the soup with an immersion blender, if desired.
- While soup cooks, prepare the salad. Place kale, spinach, romaine, pears, walnuts, cranberries, and chickpeas into a large salad bowl. In a mixing bowl or covered jar, add vinegar, Dijon, and maple syrup and whisk or shake vigorously. Dress the salad, toss, and serve immediately alongside the soup topped with pepitas, if desired.
- *For crunchy chickpeas, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Dry the chickpeas well, drizzle with about 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and season with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and garlic powder. Roast for 30 minutes or until brown and crispy, shaking the pan every 10 minutes to ensure even cooking
BRING ON THE FALL FEELS WITH PUMPKIN SOUP
Fall brings with it the best flavors combined with warm comfort food. This soup sounds amazing, and I can’t wait to give it a try. If you cook up this bowl of creamy goodness, be sure to take a photo and tag @JaneUnChainedNews on Instagram. Looking for other easy vegan recipes to try? Hop on over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!