These Vegan Nachos Are Made With Shroom Shreds As The “Meat”
Have you ever had shredded mushrooms that taste better than any meat dish? Today Chef Marlon Rison joins us on #LunchBreakLIVE to show us how to make his supreme vegan nachos using mushrooms as the “meat.” Shredded king oyster mushrooms are the star of the show today!!! And all the other toppings that tag along will have your mouth watering in no time. Let’s see how it’s done…
Have you ever had shredded mushrooms that taste better than any meat dish??? Well, we are topping our vegan nachos with shredded king oyster mushrooms!!! And the toppings…you just wait!! It’s on!! What’s Marlon making #TODAY? Vegan Nachos Supreme! Jump on in the kitch with vegan chef Plant Based G Marlon Rison, creator of the e-cookbooks “Quarantine 15” and “Mushrooms,” mixing up these delicious nachos on #LunchBreakLIVE on #JaneUnchained News.#vegan #lunchbreaklive #plantbased #veganchef #eatgood #nachos #shrooms
Posted by Jane Unchained News on Wednesday, December 30, 2020
Who Is This Incredible Mushroom Inspired Chef?
Marlon Rison, a.k.a. PlantbasedG, transitioned to a vegan lifestyle during the summer of 2017 in an effort to improve his health, but he quickly grew to appreciate his compassion for animals and all that comes with a vegan lifestyle. His open-minded personality led him to seek out like-minded people at live events and through social media. And his world changed as a result.
Through these interactions, opportunities began to surface for him such as speaking engagements, in-person and live-streamed, special focus interviews, and even recognition from VegNews as one of the “Black Vegans” you need to follow on Instagram.
Marlon’s most recent venture was the compilation of his first cookbook—The Quarantine 15. A collection of 15 (plus one bonus) curated vegan recipes to comfort the soul and nourish the body. Make sure to be on the lookout for his next book featuring mushrooms!!!
Marlon’s greatest passion is to be a change agent, providing a living breathing example of what can be done if you treat yourself with love—beginning with what you feed your body.
Now Back To The Vegan Nachos. I am Hungry!
Who doesn’t love vegan nachos? All the cheese and toppings and textures. Nachos are a staple dish, loved by most. Marlon has created a recipe using King Oyster Mushrooms that will make any nachos explode with added flavor and that “meaty” texture. These shredded mushrooms, when cooked right, are perfect as a meat alternative. They have the texture of meat and absorb flavors beautifully.
Thank You For Stopping By For Some Vegan Nachos!
I am ready to eat these vegan nachos NOW, but I have to make them first! I am posting the recipe below so you too can make this delicious comfort dish at home. Sometimes we just need some comfort food, and this simple and delicious nacho dish is perfect for that kinda day! And if you are looking for other vegan recipes to try, we have plenty to choose from so be sure to check those out too. Until next time…keep cookin’!
VEGAN NACHO’S SUPREME W/SHROOM SHREDS
- 3-4 medium/large size king oyster mushrooms
- 15 oz organic black beans canned or fresh
- 15 oz organic pinto beans canned or fresh
- ¼ cup of chopped onions
- ¼ cup of chopped purple cabbage
- ¼ cup of chopped spinach
- 2 tbsp diced green olives
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 2 jalapenos diced
- ¾ cup of mushroom broth
- ¼ cup of oat milk unsweetened
- A handful of sweet cherry peppers
- 9 oz Credo brand queso
- 4 oz diced hatch chili’s
- 1 tbsp of garlic salt
- 1 tbsp of sea salt
- 1 tbsp of cayenne pepper
- 4 tbsp of taco seasoning
- Spicy Tortilla chips
- 1 purple potato sliced into circles like round chips
- 2 sliced avocados
- Avocado oil
- Let’s start with our purple potato chips! Yep, we are having a colorful nacho situation. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet with avocado oil and place on sliced purple potato circles. Salt a bit and place in oven for 15-20 minutes flipping midway for even cooking. Remove and set aside.
- In the meantime, heat a cast iron skillet (or regular skillet) on medium and pour in a couple of tbsp of avocado oil.
- While skillet is getting ready, shred the king oyster mushrooms. In a vertical pattern, with a fork, penetrate the mushroom slightly and pull downward creating shreds. Do this repeatedly sometimes altering the angle to make the perfect looking shreds. Take your time and make as thin as possible which will make for thin, mouth-watering texture. Do this for each of the mushrooms. You should have a nice pile of shreds similar to shredded chicken or pork but without the harm.
- Add shredded mushrooms to the skillet along with mushroom broth, garlic salt, sea salt, paprika, cayenne pepper & 2 tbsp taco seasoning. Cook on medium for 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Cover and adjust cooking temp to medium low and allow to simmer and collect flavors for 20 minutes or until shreds are easily broken apart. You can test by attempting to break strands by pressing down with cooking utensil. If it breaks easily, the shroom shreds are ready. Add more broth if skillet begins to dry out.
- While the shrooms are cooking warm up the beans together on stovetop at medium low and add 2-3 tbsp of taco seasoning for added flavor. Add a bit of salt if necessary.
- Shrooms should be done…I like mine a little crispy so turn the burner on medium high and lets crisp the edges a bit. Stir consistently and cook for 3-5 minutes or until desired texture is reached. If the skillet is super dry add water or a bit of mushroom broth.
- Credo cheeze time. Turn stove on medium and in a small pot add a tsp of avocado oil, entire container of Credo cheeze, 4 oz of diced hatch chili’s, ¼ cup of mushroom broth and ¼ cup oat milk. Cook for 10 minutes or until warm throughout.
- Time to create a masterpiece. On a large plate or tray layout a mixture of your tortilla chips and purple potato chips. Next add some cheeze, beans, spinach, onions, cabbage tomatoes, and jalapenos for the bottom level. Now add more chips (tortilla and purple), more beans, more cheeze and all the veggies. Last add the shroom shreds on top along with avocado and olives. Enjoy!