These Authentic vegan English Scones will make you feel like you are sitting at the corner cafe in England! Susan Hargreaves, the founder of Animal Hero Kids, shows us how to make these Northern England gems!
When I visited England a few years ago I had the honor of sitting for an authentic vegan English tea time. The scones were so delicious, I definitely had more than I should of..ha ha..but I have no regrets! I can’t wait to try this recipe at home so I can feel like I am back in England enjoying high tea like a queen!
Susan Hargreaves, Animal Hero Kids Founder, Author, Humane Educator, 40 Year Veteran Animal Activist
Animal Hero Kids is an all-volunteer kindness education charity empowering youth to compassionate action via free school presentations highlighting stories of animal rescue and advocacy and action for other animals.
Susan travels the world celebrating, courageous and compassionate action by kids and teens. She infuses Animal Hero Kids with the passion, wisdom, and determination acquired during a lifetime devoted to animal activism. By zeroing in on kindness education, Susan plays an essential role in supporting, encouraging, and empowering youth to build a more compassionate world for all animals.
Animal Hero Kids’ dynamic volunteer executive director, Susan creates and presents interactive humane education programs around the globe. Each exciting presentation concludes with a cruelty-free vegan fare. Her programs, which often showcase stories of outstanding acts of kindness by youth, have been featured extensively in national and international media.
- 3 cups organic self-raising flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 3 1/2 ounces of vegan butter cold
- 3 tbsp raw cane sugar
- 3/4 soy or almond milk cold
- 2 1/2 tbsp currants
- Unsweetened kite hill plain yogurt a topping option
- Strawberry Silk Soy Yogurt a topping option
- Strawberries or strawberry jam a topping option
- Or Blackcurrant jam a topping option
- Pre-heat oven at 400 Fahrenheit
- Mix together the flour with the baking powder and whisk it together
- Add sugar
- Add cold butter mix with fingers until blended like bread crumbs
- Add cold milk slowly mixing with a spatula
- Don’t over mix
- Roll a palm-size disc with your hands then round and pat the sides out evenly and place on a greased baking tray
- Definitely don’t leave in longer than 14 -15 minutes.
- Let cool
- Cut with a serrated knife and spread with vegan butter on one side. Mix one small container of strawberry silk yogurt with the unsweetened kite hill yogurt. spread and put sliced strawberries on then put the lid on. Blackcurrant or strawberry jam is good.