We are LIVE on LunchBreakLIVE! Join two of San Diego’s long-time & most influential vegan chefs & cooking instructors Tracy Childs and Liz Gary, celebrating Veguary with PlantDiego for Heart Health Month this February! This is your challenge to go whole-food, plant-based and eat local for your heart, the planet, and the animals! Watch TODAY and engage as they share some tofu magic using San Diego’s local tofu: San Diego Soy Dairy, Inc.! Liz is also a Food Educator & Plantdiego team member as well as director of New Options Food Group. Tracy is the founder and director of PlantDiego and Veg-Appeal, teaches nutrition and cooking with Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine‘s Food for Life program. Sign up TODAY for the challenge to eat for your body as nature intended! Get more info on the Veguary event page and be sure to follow PlantDiego on Facebook and Instagram for daily WFPB recipe posts and Nutrition Mythbusters!
Tracy Childs reporting for Jane Unchained News Network.
Photos courtesy of Tracy Childs.
Video work by Steven Childs.
Oil-Free Teriyaki Tofu
- 1 16 oz. Teriyaki Baked San Diego Soy Dairy Tofu or regular firm tofu
- 1/4 cup liquid broth from the tofu, water, or vegetable broth plus 2-3 tablespoons as needed
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes. Heat a large skillet on medium high. Add the broth, juice, tamari, maple syrup and zest. Simmer 2-3 minutes then add the tofu cubes.
- Sauté stirring occasionally, add an extra tablespoon of liquid as needed to keep the tofu from drying out, continue stirring and adding liquid one tablespoon at a time until the cubes are browned.
Creamy Asian Dressing
- 1 cup tofu-cashew mayo recipe below
- 1- inch chunk of fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust flavoring as needed.
Tofu & Rice Buddha Bowls
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice warmed
- 1/2 cup cooked beans of choice warmed
- 1/4 cup cubed cooked sweet potato
- 1/3 cup Sautéed button mushrooms
- 1/3 cup Teriyaki Tofu Cubes
- Fresh toppings of choice for example: shredded purple cabbage, cherry tomatoes, baby arugula, sliced cucumber, sliced scallions
- Creamy Asian Dressing
- Place the warmed rice and beans in a bowl and top with the sweet potato, mushrooms and tofu. Decorate the top with the colorful, fresh veggies and then drizzle the creamy dressing over the top. Mixi it all up and enjoy this fresh meal!
Tofu Cashew Mayo
- 1 cup firm crumbled tofu
- 1/4 cup raw cashews soaked
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- water as needed.
- Blend all of the ingredients until very smooth, adding water as needed to allow the blades to move.