#OneVeggieAtATime with Antoinette Westcott and Crystal Rose Kozlak cooking a Vegan Quiche from the #FollowYourHeart vegan egg. Wow now I’ve seen everything veganized. This is amazing and it’s amazing how Crystal does outreach with an Animal Place Sanctuary using a cage for people to get into! The program is called #BraveTheCage, and nothing beats experiencing how animals feel that are trapped in cages. Brave the cage challenges people to get into a cramped cage with up to four other people and stay it for two minutes. They hope this will help them extend more compassion to animals who endure these practices due to consumerism. Hopefully, after this experience, they will not treat animals as products.
Chickens in particular, are crammed into tiny cages in many cases, and they are transported in those tiny cages only to be transferred still in the cage to the slaughter house. They are born and raised in those tiny cages and they don’t leave it until they die. It is absolutely horrifying to watch the treatment of these animals that are sent for slaughter at 5-8 weeks on average. No animal wants to be trapped in a cage and a tiny one at that, so imagine yourself in that animal’s position. It is absolutely unfathomable. Please choose compassion and don’t eat animals or animal products. By not buying meat, eggs, dairy, or any animal products, you can help put an end to awful practices like these.
Instead, veganize every recipe like this quiche. Crystal took her mothers recipe and veganized it which is amazing! Try to make it yourself. The Follow Your Heart brand egg can be substituted with tofu or the new Hampton Creek vegan egg once it becomes more widely available. Go Vegan because cruelty-free tastes better!!!
See the recipe below!
Follow Your Heart Vegan Quiche
- Frozen vegan pie crust
- 8 Tbsp of Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg
- 2 cups of *cold* water
- 1/4 cup of milk alternative, like almond milk
- Desired veggies: red bell pepper, onion, and spinach
- 1 Tbsp of high-heat oil
- 1/4 of nutritional yeast
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix the vegan egg powder with the *cold* water. Has to be cold water in order to bind well. Whisk thoroughly until no clumps.
- Whisk milk alternative, salt, and nutritional yeast with the whisked vegan egg.
- Fry desired veggies in a pan with the high heat oil, until semi-soft.
- Fold veggies in the vegan egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into your frozen vegan pie crust. Recommend adding a foil necklace on the edges of the crust to prevent burning.
- Bake for about 40 – 45 mins. Enjoy!
For more information about Animal Place Sanctuary please visit their website:
Video work done by Eric Faison.