Sandra Sellani co-author of the award-winning 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook (bit.ly/2JVMLBL) makes Roasted Beets with Orange Macadamia Ricotta today on LunchBreakLIVE! Get the recipe here: bit.ly/2H6XSS3
Posted by Jane Velez-Mitchell on Sunday, February 11, 2018
Roasted Beet Ingredients:
- 6 medium-sized fresh beets
- 1 orange,* peeled and sectioned
- fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- edible flowers or microgreens, for garnish
Beet Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup raw fresh beet, cubed
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove
- ¼ salt
fresh ground black pepper
Total Time: 60 minutes Level: Medium Serves: 3–4 side dishes
* Cut the wedges by slicing just inside the membrane for a perfect slice, called a “supreme.”
Orange Macadamia Ricotta Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts soaked in water for at
- least 4 hours or overnight, drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. fresh orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- ½ agave nectar
- ¼ salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut stems from beets and reserve for another use.*
- Scrub the beets thoroughly. Wrap each beet loosely in foil while still wet
(water will help steam them as they bake) and put on a baking sheet in oven for 50
minutes. While beets are baking, make ricotta (recipe below).
- Remove beets from oven. When they are cool enough to handle, remove the skins with a paper towel. Cut beets into quarters.
Orange Macadamia Ricotta Directions:
- Combine the drained macadamia nuts, water, orange zest, juice, agave, and salt in a blender. You can also combine in a tall jar using an immersion blender. Put in fridge while preparing vinaigrette and beets.
Beet Vinaigrette Directions:
- Using a blender, mix all ingredients until thoroughly combined. Strain solids out with a strainer.
- Place a scoop of orange macadamia ricotta on the bottom of the plate. Drizzle and splatter the beet vinaigrette around the perimeter of the plate. Place the beets on top of the ricotta.
- Add orange slices and fresh basil leaves for flavor and appeal. For an added visual, use edible flowers or microgreens.