Blackberry Bread Pudding
- 1 c. almond milk (or any vegan milk)
- 1/8 c. vegan butter
- 1 flax egg (mix 1 T. flax meal with 3 T. warm water and let sit for 20 minutes)
- ¼ c. organic sugar
- ½ t. cinnamon
- 1/8 t. salt
- 3 c. stale bread cut into ½ inch cubes
- 12 fresh blackberries (or frozen, thawed)
- 1 T. organic powdered sugar
- 2 T. chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat almond milk and vegan butter in a saucepan on medium heat until butter is melted and the mixture is fully blended.
- Add flax egg, sugar, cinnamon and salt and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Put bread cubes in mixing bowl and pour hot milk mixture over bread. Stir with a spatula until bread is thoroughly soaked with the mixture.
- Pour bread mixture evenly into four ½ cup ramekins. There is no need to oil the ramekins or cover them.
- Bake ramekins uncovered for 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted into the center of the bread pudding comes out clean.
- Garnish each serving with a drizzle of Maple Vanilla Cream (recipe below), three blackberries, ½ T. chopped pecans and a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Serve hot.
Maple Cream Sauce
- ¼ c. maple syrup
- ¾ c. coconut milk (Thai Kitchen brand, canned, unsweetened)
- ½ T. pure vanilla extract (preferred brand Singing Dog, alcohol-free)
- 1 T. organic cornstarch (preferred brand Let’s Do Organic)
Mix all ingredients on medium heat in a saucepan. Stir continuously with wire whisk until thickened and smooth, about five minutes. Drizzle onto bread pudding or serve on the side.