Pamela Whistley and Dale Hendrickson are dedicated animal activists in Los Angeles, California. Pam helps manage the I am Cecil too FB page and Dale is a character creator at The Simpsons, who created Kent Brockman and Sideshow Mel and many others! Today on #LunchBreakLIVE this couple of 43 years is sharing how to make their favorite lunch, a “Chickpea/Jackfruit Tuna-less Salad Sandwich”. Taste Tester is Vanessa Marsot from Ellora Wellness #JaneUnChained
RECIPE: Pam and Dale’s Chickpea-Jackfruit Tuna-less Salad / Sandwich
Equipment: Medium size bowl, food processor or hand masher
- 14 oz can 365 organic garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained (365 comes in BPA free can)
- 14 oz can organic young jackfruit (we used) Native Forest
- 3/4 cup Vegan Mayo such as Follow Your Heart’s Vegenaise
- 2 T dijon mustard
- 1 T onion powder
- 3 T ume plum vinegar Eden (DON’T SKIP!)
- 1 T celery seeds
- 2 celery ribs, sliced lengthwise and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh dill or 1 T dried dill
- pita bread
- In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas in batches to roughly chop. You do not want pureed chickpeas. You may also use a hand masher.
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl.
- Use a fork to flake apart the jackfruit, to resemble shreds. Then add to the bowl with the chickpeas.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Stir well to combine.
- Serve in a sandwich, open face or on a salad.
- This salad stores for 4 days in a tight lidded container in the refrigerator.
Some of the ingredients for Pam & Dale’s Chickpea – Jackfruit Tuna-less Salad Sandwich
Pam and Dale’s Chickpea – Jackfruit Tuna-less Salad
Pam and Dale’s Chickpea – Jackfruit Tuna-less Sandwich
Dale Hendrickson and Pamela Whistley, 4 years vegan and just celebrated 43 years together