Today on #LunchBreakLIVE, Chef Sol is making “BBQ Pulled Mushroom Tacos” using a technique that creates an intense and savory flavor! This is not a faux or mock meat dish; it is made completely from conventional mushrooms! Find Chef Sol on IG: Chef Sol
Barbecue Pulled Mushrooms (serves 4)
- 2 small packages of white mushrooms (cut length wise into thin match sticks)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cubes, crushed & chopped
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 1 c Sweet & Spicy Barbecue sauce (Organic Truth) or substitute your favorite sweet & spicy BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp salt, add more if needed
- 1 T Bragg Aminos
- 1 T cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a large skillet with grape seed oil, preheated to medium heat, add onion, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper. Let cook for approximately 6 min until onions are soft.
- Then add chopped mushrooms, and lower heat down to medium low as you continue to cook mushrooms for another 5-6 minutes, until the mushrooms become slightly browned and begin to resemble a pulled meat texture.
- Then add whole cherry tomatoes, let cook for another 5 -7 min until tomatoes are completely cooked and broken down. (You can expedite the process by smashing tomatoes with a wooden spoon) while they are cooking.
- Once tomatoes have been cooked in, leave it cooking until mushrooms and tomatoes have almost cooked out all the moisture.
- Add barbecue sauce and let cook for another minute.
- Lastly, transfer onto a baking sheet using parchment paper or foil.
- Cook on high broil for another 4-5 min, until slightly crispy over the top.
Ingredients for Chef Sol’s BBQ ‘Pulled” Mushroom Tacos
BBQ ‘Pulled’ Mushroom Taco Filling (after 5 min in broiler)
Chef Sol’s BBQ ‘Pulled’ Mushroom Taco on a Plate