Elementary school teacher Courtney Lee Puddington of Toronto, Ontarioand her 8-year daughter Ashlyn are a plant-based team cooking up Spectacular Sweet & Sour Tofu, Ashlyn’s fave dish! Be inspired by Courtney’s amazing vegan story! Hello Canada!!! #LunchBreakLIVE, #JaneUnChained
RECIPE: Sweet and Sour Pineapple Tofu
- 1 1/2 c organic brown rice (boil, then, simmer for 30 mins)
- 2 3/4 c vegetable broth (to prepare rice with)
- 1 block of organic firm tofu
- 2 red bell peppers,
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cored pineapple, chopped
- 1 1/2 c pineapple juice
- 2 tsp of arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 4 Tbsp organic ketchup
- Sesame seeds (in a shaker)
- Chop: 1 cored pineapple, 2 red peppers, 1 block of firm tofu.
- Mince: 2 cloves of garlic.
- 2 tsp of arrowroot flour in a small bowl with 3-4 tsps of water.
- Sesame seeds aside.
DIRECTIONS (for sauce)
- In a small sauce pan, add pineapple juice, chopped pineapple, of organic ketchup, rice vinegar, arrowroot flour slowly mixed in to thicken the sauce. Bring to gentle boil and then simmer on low heat.
DIRECTIONS (for tofu)
- In a wok, add a tbsp of olive oil, minced garlic and then tofu and a little vegetable broth. After it is a little golden, add peppers, and pineapple to simmer until cooked.
- Pour sauce over tofu in wok and stir.
- Serve over rice
- Garnish with sesame seeds
Organic tofu, chopped garlic, red and yellow sweet peppers
Sauteed red and yellow peppers, garlic and tofu
Ashlyn and Courtney with Spectacular Sweet & Sour Tofu