Broccoli Pesto Penne
This tasty vegan pasta recipe is made with a plant-based creamy pesto sauce made from broccoli, walnuts, vegan cheese, garlic, oil, and coconut milk. The flavor is outstanding and the creaminess is off the charts.
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup grated vegan Parmesan cheese plus extra for topping
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 6 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk beverage or other non flavored vegan milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups gluten-free penne 1 8 oz box
- Chopped parsley for garnish
In a food processor, combine the broccoli, walnuts, cheese, garlic, and oil. Grind until smooth.
In a large saucepan, melt the Earth Balance over medium heat and add the chopped onion. Sauté for about 2
minutes then add the chopped pepper; cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the ground pesto and coconut milk, salt and pepper, mix, and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes.
Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain, and toss with the pesto sauce. Sprinkle extra cheese and parsley on top. Serves 4