Tempeh Sloppy Joes
This recipe features tempeh, a high-protein meat alternative made from soybeans!
- 1 cup water divided
- 1 onion chopped (small onion)
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 8 oz tempeh crumbled into small pieces (8-ounce package)
- 8 oz tomato sauce 8-ounce can
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp prepared mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 multigrain hamburger buns
Heat 1/2 cup water in skillet. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until cooked through.
Add remaining 1/2 cup water and tempeh. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, allowing the tempeh to get well-done.
Add tomato sauce, ketchup, agave nectar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and garlic powder and cook for 15 minutes.
Serve on buns.
Source: "The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook" by Neal Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Robyn Webb
You can substitute faux meat crumbles, textured vegetable protein (TVP), or even lentils in this recipe.
Calories: 273kcalProtein: 17.6gFiber: 6.3g