CASHEW CURRIED TOFU SALAD
Reinvent your tofu!!! Join Chef Linda Soper-Kolton, from Catskill Animal Sanctuary on #LunchBreakLIVE to learn a new recipe that will make the most of this amazing plant-based protein. Curried Cashew Tofu Salad, featured in the cookbook Compassionate Cuisine: 125 Plant-Based Meals From Our Vegan Kitchen, is the perfect way to jazz up lunch or dinner!
ALWAYS BRINGING THE BEST VEGAN DISHES FROM HER KITCHEN
Linda Soper-Kolton came to Catskill Animal Sanctuary in 2012 as a guest chef, intending to teach Compassionate Cuisine cooking classes for a season and then return to her vegetarian and vegan café in Fairfield, Connecticut. Lured by the magic of the sanctuary and the urgency of the mission, Linda stayed to lead and grow the culinary program, inspiring and educating with love, patience, and delicious food. Six years later, she continues to cook, teach, write, and kiss pigs.
Unlike many chefs, Linda did not grow up at the knee of a family matriarch in the kitchen. Instead, her early memories of mealtime included mashed potatoes made with milk powder and potato flakes, Friday’s clean-out-the-fridge “spaghetti surprise,” and a lot of liver. Linda learned to cook out of sheer necessity. In the humble kitchen of her first apartment, Linda spent nights baking, roasting, and simmering for roommates, co-workers, and anyone else she could find. With “food is love” as her mantra, cooking and feeding became her way of nurturing and connecting with others.
In midlife, she fulfilled a lifelong dream of becoming a chef when she graduated from the Natural Gourmet Institute chef’s training program. Combining her chef’s training with certification as a holistic health coach from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and certification in plant-based nutrition from the Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell, Linda is driven to love and influence others through compassionate, plant-based eating. When she’s not in the kitchen creating, she’s probably looking for her glasses.
HOW DO YOU MAKE IT: CASHEW CURRIED TOFU SALAD
This Curried Tofu Salad has just enough kick to spice up any lunch or dinner. It is full of nutrient-dense ingredients and super high in protein, for all you protein lovers out there. It is a relatively simple recipe and is sure to impress anyone you make it for, so give it a try!
Cashew Curried Tofu Salad
- 1 14-ounce package organic extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons mild or hot curry powder
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large carrots peeled and grated
- 2 scallions white and green parts, finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber peeled, seeded, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- ½ cup raw or roasted and salted cashews
- ¼ cup raisins or dried apricot optional
- Chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish
- For Serving:
- Pita bread tortillas, crackers
- Lettuce greens
- To press tofu, wrap the block in a clean towel or paper towels and press between two cutting boards with a heavy object on top for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, soy sauce, tahini, curry powder, toasted sesame oil, syrup, cayenne, and pepper. Using your hands, crumble tofu into the bowl with the dressing. Add carrot, scallions, cucumber, cashews, and raisins. Mix to combine. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator.
THANKS FOR JOINING US FOR LUNCH
Thanks so much for joining us for lunch, where we learned how to make this simple Cashew Curried Tofu Salad that is delicious! Give it a try and let us know how you liked it. Take a photo of your finished dish and tag @JaneUnChainedNEWS on Instagram. If you are looking for other easy vegan recipes to try, be sure to stop by the #LunchBreakLIVE page, where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!