FOOD IDEAS FOR MEMORIAL DAY YOUR GUESTS WILL LOVE
Go BEYOND with genius food ideas for Memorial Day! 3 Step Grilled Beyond Meat Plant-Based Burgers! But that’s not all, guest celebrity Chef Jane Velez-Mitchell shows us a couple of her secret sides to go along with the celebratory vegan BBQ. Step into Summer with delicious plant-based burgers and sweet corn on the cob, BBQ’ed roasted potatoes, and BBQ’ed kale.
CHANGING THE WORLD ONE VEGAN BURGER AT A TIME
Jane Velez-Mitchell is the Founder of JaneUnChained News Network, a 501 c3 nonprofit organization. JaneUnChained is a digital news network for animal rights and the vegan lifestyle, which has more than 60 volunteer contributors from around the world who showcase vegan festivals, animal rights conferences, protests, vegan restaurants, and more.
Jane is an incredible journalist with a passion to spread the ongoing, growing vegan and animal rights news, locally and around the world. But when she is not reporting, she is often experimenting in her kitchen, creating all sorts of unusual and tasty vegan eats. Today she shared with us her imaginative genius in the kitchen. Don’t Worry, the recipe is below.
EVERYONE NEEDS GOOD FOOD IDEAS FOR MEMORIAL DAY!
Memorial Day, as we know, is a huge BBQ day. So why not try something new and BBQ up some vegan burgers with delicious sides, instead of animal flesh burgers. They taste just the same, if not better, and have zero cruelty involved in processing them. Throw in some of janes sides like her sweet corn, potatoes, and BBQ’ed kale, and your guests will be in food heaven. It is so easy to have an incredibly tasty BBQ that is 100% vegan.
BBQ Grilled Potatoes
- Half a dozen small potatoes or 3 large ones
- Minced Garlic
- Garlic Salt
- Oil optional
- Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce
- Recipe for BBQ Grilled Potatoes
- Slice 6 potatoes as thin as possible, like thick potato chips
- Then place in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Remove them when they are still only partially cooked.
- Place in a bowl with 3 tablespoons of minced garlic (or more to taste)
- Spay a small amount of oil (you could also leave out entirely)
- Sprinkle garlic salt to taste
- Add your favorite seasons (optional)
- Add 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- One tablespoon of Coconut Aminos or soy sauce.
- Place into a folding portable stainless steel BBQ Grill Basket (great for grilling all sorts of veggies on the grill and they sell for 25 dollars or less)
- Grill one side for 5 minutes at high flame and then gently flip the grill basket to the other side to brown the second side. Repeat if necessary.
- Eyeball the browning process to make sure the potatoes are crisp and lightly browned but not burned.
- One head of bite-sized kale pieces stripped from stem
- Spray oil
- Take a bowl of the kale
- Zap with a small amount of olive oil
- Massage the oil into the kale
- Add salt to taste
- Place inside folding portable BBQ grill basket
- Place on grill with medium flame for 2 minutes max
- Gently flip the grill basket.
- Brown the other side for a minute or two max until brown.
- Be advised it can burn quickly so keep an eye on the process.
- Remove when crisp! Place in bowl!
For the burgers, just grab some Beyond Meat at your local store and throw it on the grill. Pile on all your favorite toppings once it is cooked. Throw your sweet corn on the grill and cook to perfection.
THANKS FOR JOINING US FOR OUR MEMORIAL DAY BBQ
What a great source for finding food ideas for Memorial Day! #LunchBreakLIVE is always full of surprises. And Jane never lets us down with her creative cooking skills! If you are looking for other great plant-based recipes to try, be sure to jump over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!