THIS MOTHER’S DAY RECIPE IS SPECIAL!
Wake up vegan breakfast pancakes–it’s time to try something new! This is a Mother’s Day recipe mom will love, and I bet she has never had it before! Turn sweet pancakes into something savory and enjoy them for lunch or dinner. This recipe incorporates some of the ingredients you might find in a platter of nachos and is just as simple to make. A quick sauté of colorful veggies and a few humble toppings are all you need. Black beans add texture and protein. The recipe is scrumptious with the toppings mentioned here, but if you need a cheese fix, make the cheese sauce from the cookbook, Compassionate Cuisine, or try Trader Joe’s vegan nacho cheese sauce. Perfect when you want breakfast for dinner! Guest Chef Linda Soper-Kolton from Catskill Animal Sanctuary joins us and shows us how to make this incredible meal. Let’s take a look…
Would you believe Nacho Pancakes? Join Chef Linda Soper-Kolton from Catskill Animal Sanctuary on #LunchBreakLIVE to learn how to wake up boring breakfast pancakes! Nacho Pancakes use the best, 100% plant-based ingredients to turn a savory snack into fluffy pancakes bursting with flavor and color. Visit JaneUnChained.com for thousands of printable vegan recipes.
Posted by Jane Unchained News on Wednesday, May 5, 2021
CATSKILL ANIMAL SANCTUARY
“Catskill Animal Sanctuary is a 150-acre refuge in New York’s Hudson Valley for 11 species of farmed animals rescued from cruelty, neglect, and abandonment. Over the years, thousands have come to this place of profound peace. They continue to come — sometimes one needy soul, sometimes a flock of 100 or more at a time. It is our privilege to help each and every rescued animal understand what love feels like. If we’ve learned anything from them, it’s the life-altering truth that in the ways that matter, we are all the same. Animals are as individual as us, want their lives as much as we want ours, and experience the same emotions as we do. Pain, suffering, and fear feel no different to a pig than they do a human being. This belief in our shared “sameness” is the first driver of all that we do. The second is our choice to believe in humanity’s goodness. Each year, thousands of visitors come to meet the animals and learn about the impact of their diet on animals, their health, and our ailing planet.
We watch as profound shifts occur in the disarming moments shared by humans and animals. We offer support through our online vegan culinary classes, Compassionate Cuisine cookbook and recipes, customized digital Sanctuary tours through CAS: Live, engaging online educational programs for kids, and the inspirational writing and speaking of our founder Kathy.”
MAGIC AND COMPASSION IN THE KITCHEN
As a vegan chef, culinary instructor, and certified health coach, Linda brings enthusiasm, experience, and relatable style to her cooking classes, coaching, and catering. She knows food–and people–and is a valuable resource for audiences large and small. A graduate of New York’s Natural Gourmet Institue for Health and Culinary Arts, lead author of Compassionate Cuisine: 125 Plant-Based Recipes from our Vegan Kitchen, and director of the culinary program by the same name at Catskill Animal Sanctuary, Linda speaks with passion and expertise about the joy of cooking and eating compassionately, nutritional benefits of a plant-based diet, overcoming challenges in the kitchen, and life after cheese.
MOTHER’S DAY RECIPES SHOULD BE TOTALLY UNIQUE, JUST LIKE MOM!
When I first saw this recipe for Savory Vegan Nacho Pancakes my mouth dropped. Why? Because Pancakes and nacho cheese are literally two of my favorite foods! And I never thought of putting the two together. The thought would have never crossed my mind. But now that I have digested this recipe, I can’t wait to try it. The flavors sound amazing and totally unique. Mom would love these, maybe she will get lucky and I will make them for her. The recipe is below so be sure to give these vegan pancakes a try!
Savory Vegan Nacho Pancakes
- For the Vegetables:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or water
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped in 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 scallions thinly sliced, reserve some for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cooked or canned black beans rinsed
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- For the Batter:
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil optional
- 1 teaspoon mild vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese optional
- Black olives
- Chopped tomatoes
- Guacamole or diced avocado
- Vegan cheese sauce
- Vegan sour cream or substitute plain, unsweetened yogurt
- Chopped cilantro or basil
- Heat oil-water in a large non-stick pan. You will use this pan to both sauté the vegetables and make the pancakes. Add the peppers, most of the scallions, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until the peppers start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the black beans and garlic. Cook for a few minutes more then remove from heat and set aside while you make the batter.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, mix together the milk, oil, and vinegar. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, cumin, chili powder, and baking soda. Mix in the wet ingredients. Stir in the cooked vegetables and shredded cheese, if you’re using it.
- Wipe out the pan and set it over medium heat. When hot, use a 1/4 cup measure to ladle batter into the pan. Let cook for about 4 minutes, until bubbles start to form on the top, then flip and cook on the other side for another several minutes. Transfer pancakes to a plate and cover with a clean dish towel to keep them warm. Repeat until all the batter is used. If you're doubling the recipe, set the oven to 250ºF and transfer cooked pancakes to a plate in the oven to keep warm while you cook.
- To serve, layer pancakes with your favorite toppings. if you're using cheese sauce, layer that in between pancakes as well. Garnish with sour cream, remaining scallions, and fresh herbs.
MOTHER’S DAY RECIPES: MAKE THEM SPECIAL!
Lovingly thought-out Mother’s Day recipes don’t go unrecognized. Mom would likely love this yummy, interesting vegan recipe. The pancakes are absolutely incredible in flavor and totally unique by design. If you are in search of more delicious plant-based recipes to try, be sure to stop by the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!