A VEGAN FRITTATA RECIPE YOU WILL LOVE!
A fun & cheesy vegan frittata recipe that is super easy to make! Chef Tracy Childs shows us how to whip up these tasty plant-based, savory, satisfying, egg-free yet still protein-rich frittatas with her chickpeas & greens recipe. This is an awesome idea for upcoming Mother’s and Father’s Day brunch celebrations but easy enough for the everyday fare! Let’s see how it is done…
TRACY CHILDS DOES IT ALL
Tracy is a super passionate vegan foodie activist who fully embraced veganism since first becoming vegetarian as a teen in 1979, then vegan in 1990. She’s dedicated to spreading the message of how plants & lifestyle choices can heal the planet, protect animals and help us avoid needless suffering from lifestyle-related diseases.
She is co-founder, chef, and director of Tracy’s Real Foods a whole -foods, plant-based company that ships healthy Goodies nationwide. She’s a certified Nutritional Consultant and holds a Certificate in Plant Based Nutrition from eCornell. Tracy has also taught nutrition and cooking for over a decade as a Food for Life Instructor, certified with the Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine. As the Founder and Director of Veg-Appeal in San Diego, she offers educational cooking classes, corporate wellness, individual & cooking lessons, store tours & personal health coaching. Tracy is also the Founder and Director of PlantDiego, a San Diego-based nonprofit “PlantPure Pod” inspired by the movie PlantPure Nation to educate and support people in living a healthy, whole-food, plant-based lifestyle. In addition, Tracy is a cookbook author! She contributed over 100 recipes for the book — Handbook to Higher Health Consciousness.
A CLOSER LOOK AT THE VEGAN FRITTATAS
These vegan frittatas are made from chickpeas and are incredibly delicious. They’re healthy and super tasty, especially with the added cheesy heaven in every bite. Tracy makes this particular vegan cheese sauce with tofu. It’s creamy and delicious! Her frittatas are perfect for brunch gatherings, but simple enough for every day, so I hope you give these a try. The recipe is below.
Chickpea & Greens Mini Frittatas
- 1 cup garbanzo flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH baking powder, onion/garlic powder, turmeric
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt or regular salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup unsweetened plain non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup salsa
- 1-2 cups finely chopped veggies of choice spinach, kale, broccoli, green onions, arugula, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, roasted red pepper etc.
- ½ cup Chipotle Cheesy Sauce (SEE RECIPE) ALT: hummus or another thick vegan cheesy sauce
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil 6 cupcake tins or line them with cupcake liners.
- Place the flour, nutritional yeast and spices into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the non-dairy milk & lemon juice to consistency of crepe batter (rather thin).
- Stir in the salsa and the veggies
- Place about ¼ - 1/3 cup of the batter into each cupcake liner.
- Add about 1-2 tablespoons of the Chipotle Cheese Sauce to top, in the center of each frittata.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until browned, puffy and slightly firm on top.
- Remove from the oven.
- IMPORTANT - allow them to cool for 20 minutes. They will firm up as they cool. Best served at room temperature.
- Enjoy with a green salad for a full meal!
Chipotle Cheesy Sauce
- 1 cup firm tofu well drained then crumbled
- ½ cup hemp seeds or raw cashews or a mix of both
- ¾ cup raw or bottled red or yellow bell pepper chunks about 1/2 medium/large
- ½ - 1 cup raw zucchini chunks about ½ of a small zucchini
- 2 tablespoons light miso or 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 - 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon each: turmeric, garlic powder & onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle ground (or crushed red pepper flakes)
- 1-2 tablespoons water or unsweetened non-dairy milk just as needed
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until very smooth, adding water by the tablespoon as needed to help the blades process the mixture.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as you like, adding additional apple cider vinegar for more tanginess or more spices to taste.
Leave out the chipotle and smoked paprika for a plain cheesy sauce.
YAY FOR VEGAN FRITTATA
This vegan frittata recipe is so fun to make and even better to eat! So give it a try. If you are looking for more delicious and easy vegan recipes to whip up, be sure to jump over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!