This Vegan Fried Fish Sandwich Will Blow Your Mind!
Veggies are magical! Did you know you could make a vegan fried fish sandwich out of eggplant? That’s what we are doing on this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE. Guest chef Marlon Rison, entrepreneur, motivational speaker, and a member of the unofficial “Mushroom Mafia” creates this delectable stacked sandwich and shows us how we can do it ourselves at home. Let’s take a look…
Veggies are magical! Did you know you could make a (no) fish sandwich out of eggplant??? That's what we are doing! The only way we know how!! Vegan chef Marlon Rison, entrepreneur, motivational speaker and a member of the unofficial “Mushroom Mafia” creates this delectable stacked sandwich on #today’s #LunchBreakLIVE on #JaneUnchained News. #veganstyle #plantbased #LunchBreakLIVE #cookingathome
Posted by Jane Unchained News on Tuesday, January 26, 2021
Let’s Meet Our Incredible Chef
Marlon Rison, a.k.a. PlantbasedG, transitioned to a vegan lifestyle during the summer of 2017 in an effort to improve his health, but he quickly grew to appreciate his compassion for animals and all that comes with a vegan lifestyle. His open-minded personality led him to seek out like-minded people at live events and through social media. And his world changed as a result.
Through these interactions, opportunities began to surface for him such as speaking engagements, in-person and live-streamed, special focus interviews, and even recognition from VegNews as one of the “Black Vegans” you need to follow on Instagram.
Marlon’s most recent venture was the compilation of his first cookbook—The Quarantine 15. A collection of 15 (plus one bonus) curated vegan recipes to comfort the soul and nourish the body. Make sure to be on the lookout for his next book featuring mushrooms!!!
Marlon’s greatest passion is to be a change agent, providing a living breathing example of what can be done if you treat yourself with love—beginning with what you feed your body.
Fried Fish Sandwich, With No Fish!
Marlon is back with another one of his incredible recipes. This vegan fried fish sandwich is so magnificent, made with eggplant instead of fish. It is full of flavor, and you get a crunch with every bite. The nori and fishy fry batter give it the flavor of fish, without any of the cruelty! Whip up the homemade tartar sauce and drench your sandwich in yumminess! Topped off with all the fixin’s and you have one of the most fabulous lunches you will ever experience. It is pure comfort! I am posting the recipe below so you can give this a try for yourself.
Fried Eggplant (no)Fish Sandwich
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 ½ cups of flour
- ¼ cup of Louisiana fish fry batter yes its vegan
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp of onion salt
- 1 tbsp bay seasoning
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 4 tbsp of nori seasoning
- 1 large nori/seaweed sheet
- 2 vegan eggs flax substitute works
- 2 tbsp of Zatarains shrimp & crab boil
- ¼ cup plain oat milk
- 1/8 cup of pickle juice
- Avocado or grapeseed oil for frying
- Sesame seed buns
- 4 tbsp vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp of pickle juice
- Fresh lemon
- 2 tbsp of relish
- 2 tbsp of diced pickles
- 2 tbsp of diced onions
- Sliced purple cabbage, tomatoes, jalapeños, pickles & trimmings for the ‘wich!!!
- Time to slice, dice and prep our eggplant. Vertically slice the eggplant in half. With eggplant opening facing up, take your knife and dig in as close to you can to the bottom of eggplant without going all the way through. Continue and trace the entire inside of the eggplant in an oval fashion. Once complete peel off the remaining skin with your hands or knife. You should have a thick meaty slice of eggplant. Slice this piece long way into 2-3 pieces. With a fork, remove the seeds on both sides of the eggplant pieces. If you don’t remove them all, not a problem. Repeat process for other half of eggplant.
- Place the eggplant on tray or paper towel. Apply a generous amount of salt to both sides of the eggplant. This will help remove the bitter taste. Cover and let sit for minimum of 2 hours. You can do overnight in the fridge also.
- In prep for cooking, rinse each piece of eggplant well getting rid of the excess salt and set aside. Pour oil 2 inches deep into large frying skillet and place temp on medium high heat.
- Let’s make the wet batter…in a large bowl or container add vegan egg, oat milk, pickle juice and crab boil. Stir well and set aside.
- For our dry batter, in a large bowl or container pour in flour, bread crumbs, fish fry seasoning, onion salt, bay seasoning, paprika and nori seasoning. Blend well.
- Last, cut the nori sheet into pieces that are a little smaller than the eggplant slices. We will be pasting on.
- Here we go!!! Dip the eggplant pieces into wet batter then add the nori strip on one side. Place in dry batter and coat both sides well before placing in hot oil. Repeat process for each peace. Do not overcrowd skillet. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown, remove and place on cooling rack.
- Tartar sauce here we come. In a bowl add vegan mayo, relish, pickles, onions, pickle juice and 1 tsp of lemon juice. If you want more sea flavor add ½ tsp of liquid crab boil. Stir well and enjoy the tartar aroma!
- Toast your sesame seed buns, load up your sandwich with eggplant & trimmings, have a party & enjoy.
Thank You For Jumping In On This Vegan Fried Fish Sandwich Experience!
Thank you so much for stopping by an experiencing this awesome #LunchBreakLIVE episode with the magnificent chef Marlon. He knows how to cook up some vegan comfort for sure, and he nailed it again on this show! I can’t wait to bite into this vegan fried fish sandwich. If you are looking for other easy vegan recipes to try on your plant-based diet journey, be sure to stop by the #LunchBreakLIVE page. There are so many recipes to choose from…for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert! Until next time…keep cookin’!