Day 7 Of The 21 Day Vegan Kickstart Collaboration
It’s day 7 of the 21 day vegan kickstart, where anyone who joins has the opportunity to kickstart their health in 2021. We have two more easy vegan recipes to share with you that are full of health and flavor. The guest Chef for day 7 was Heather Borders, MBA, RD, LD/N, founder of Kailo Nutrition. She shows us how to make a Lentil Cucumber Salad and the perfect Portobello Mushroom Burger. Let’s take a look at the magic Heather made in the kitchen…
Please join us for Day 7 of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine’s 21-Day Vegan Kickstart in collaboration with #LunchBreakLIVE on the JaneUnchained News Network (JNN). We planned 21 consecutive shows, featuring a different Food for Life (FFL) Instructor each day, who will prepare recipes from the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart program..Our guest chef today is Heather Borders, MBA, RD, LD/N, founder of Kailo Nutrition. in Florida. She’s a former astronaut trainer turned medical device marketer who went back to school in 2013 to become a Registered Dietitian after reversing high cholesterol through diet in 2011. After several weeks of eating plants, her cholesterol plummeted and she was inspired to help others improve their health by overcoming the common challenges associated with implementing sustainable lifestyle changes. As a FFL Instructor, Heather teaches recipes created by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine designed to reduce the risk factors for many chronic diseases..Today’s show is hosted by Tracy Childs of Tracy's REAL Foods and Co-Producer of this 21-Day Vegan Kickstart Collaboration with #LunchBreakLIVE. Please join us today at 12:30 pm PST/ 3:30 pm EST. Please like, comment and share this post, if possible.
Posted by Jane Unchained News on Thursday, January 7, 2021
Let’s Meet Our Chef
Heather Borders, MBA, RD, LD/N
Heather Borders is a former astronaut trainer turned medical device marketer who went back to school in 2013 to become a Registered Dietitian after reversing high cholesterol through diet in 2011. After several weeks of eating plants, cholesterol plummeted and she was inspired to help others improve their health by overcoming the common challenges associated with implementing sustainable lifestyle changes.
Heather founded Kailo Nutrition in 2013, a private practice offering personalized nutrition counseling to Florida residents (telehealth options available), grocery store tours, group and private cooking classes, and personal chef services. She has been a Food For Life Instructor with the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine since 2012, teaching cooking classes focused on diabetes, cancer, kids’ health, and overall wellness. She completed Rouxbe’s Plant-Based Professional Culinary certification in 2014 and has attended many plant-based nutrition conferences, including the annual PCRM Conference on Nutrition in Medicine.
Heather has dedicated herself to applying her professional experience and personal passion for healthy living towards health, wellness, plant-based nutrition, and preventative medicine. She loves trying new foods, recipes, and has a budget specifically for cashews and Medjool dates.
Heather Borders is a Registered Dietitian with her BS in Nutrition and Dietetics from the University of North Florida. She also has an MBA and Masters of Mechanical Engineering from Rice University as well as a Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering from Auburn University. Heather lives in Jacksonville, Florida with her custom woodworker husband, Lee.
21 Day vegan Kickstart Day 7: Recipe 1
Let’s talk about the Perfect Portobello Mushroom Burger Heather made for us today. I mean, WOW. This burger looks so incredible, topped with all sorts of goodness. It has it all… heartiness from the portobellos, smokiness from the paprika, sweet tanginess from the balsamic vinegar, and a rich lushness from the roasted red pepper. For an extra protein punch, spread garlicky hummus on one side of the bun. The recipe is posted below, give it a try.
Perfect Portobello Burger
- 3 garlic cloves sliced along the length
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika common paprika can be substituted if smoked is not available
- 2 large portobello mushrooms destemmed, it is not necessary to remove the gills
- 2 whole-wheat buns
- malt vinegar balsamic can be substituted (to taste)
- 1 red pepper roasted and cut in half
- 2 pieces romaine lettuce about the size of a portobello
- ¼ yellow onion thinly sliced, optional
- Add about 1/4-inch of water to a sauté pan and bring it to just above medium heat. Add the garlic, salt, and smoked paprika to the water and stir. Add the portobello caps. Cook until the portobello is no longer raw on either side.
- Replenish the water as necessary so that the portobello and garlic are not left to cook in a dry pan. Once the portobello is cooked, allow the water to evaporate from the pan.
- Immediately remove it from the heat and stir the portobellos around so that they pick up the residual salt and smoked paprika on the bottom of the pan. Remove everything from the pan as soon as possible and set the portobellos and garlic aside. Sprinkle or quickly dip the bottom buns in the malt vinegar. Add the portobellos, roasted red pepper halves, and lettuce to the buns and serve.
- Options: Over medium-high heat, sauté the sliced onion until it is golden brown and very soft. If it starts to stick, add a very thin layer of water to the pan and repeat until the onion has fully cooked and is thoroughly browned. Add the onion to the burger once the portobellos are done. You can also toast the buns either in the oven directly on the rack at 350 F for 2 to 3 minutes or in a dry pan over medium heat for about 2 minutes.
21 Day Vegan Kickstart: Recipe 2
Now le’ts talk about this Lentil and Cucumber Salad. This is a great recipe in the 21 day kickstart because it is so simple to make, and has such a unique flavor. I would never think to put lentils and cucumbers together in a salad, but it is actually a fabulous combo! This salad is packed with fiber and protein, so it is sure to keep you feeling full for a good period of time. Pair it with some pita bread and you’ve got the perfect healthy meal. The recipe is below, so be sure to give it a try.
Lentil Cucumber Salad
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 1 cup tomato diced
- 1 cup cucumber peeled and diced
- 1 cup orange or red pepper cubed
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olives chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Clean the lentils to make sure they have no stones and pour them into a large pot of water.
- Boil gently for 20 minutes or until tender. Strain and let cool on a tray in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, mix the lentils with the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the salad cold.
Optional: Serve with a gluten-free pita.
Thank You For Joining In On Day 7 of The 21 Day Vegan Kickstart
This was an awesome Day 7 with two incredible vegan recipes full of vibrance and health. I for one can’t wait to make these recipes sooner than later. If you want to join in the the fun, consider signing up for the kickstart. It’s a great introduction to a plant-based lifestyle in a healthy and smart way. And if you want to try some other easy vegan recipes, or are trying to find a vegan chef to inspire you, be sure to take a look at the #LunchBreakLIVE page. Until next time…keep cookin’!