QUICHE LORRAINE…. Plant-based style! On this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE with thirteen year old Claire Hagins, aspiring vegan chef and animal rights activist with her mom Amy Hagins. How can you make a quiche vegan you ask? Watch the video and find out! The recipe is below should you dare to try this at home….don’t be scared, it’s super easy!
QUICHE LORRAINE? Plantbased style! #LunchBreakLIVE with Claire Hagins, aspiring vegan chef and animal rights activist with mom Amy Hagins. #lunchbreakLIVE
Posted by Jane Unchained News on Wednesday, July 29, 2020
Claire Hagins is a crusader for the animals. She enjoys cooking vegan recipes from around the world and loves to organize vegan bake sales at her school to raise money for animal causes, as well as introduce her peers to vegan cuisine. Claire aspires to be a surgeon and start a farm animal rescue.
Wow-what an amazing young woman! At such a young age she is already making a huge difference in the world by introducing veganism to her young peers and raising money to help fight all the animal injustice in the world. She also wants to help humans by becoming a surgeon when she grows up, and I am certain she will do just that! What an ambitious, compassionate human being.
Let’s check out the magic she created in the kitchen by making her special vegan Quiche Lorraine!
Tofu Quiche With Veggies!
- 1 package 16oz, firm or extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1/2 large red onion sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup almond milk
- 4 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. chives
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Veggie mixture-Preheat oven to 375F. Over medium heat add 1/2 Tbsp oil to a hot pan and sauté onions for 15 minutes. You want the onions to slightly caramelized. Next add tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms, and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for another 15 minutes. Add the chopped spinach and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Tofu filling-combine tofu, almond milk, nutritional yeast, baking soda, salt, pepper, and turmeric, in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add the vegetable mix to a pre-baked pie crust or a well-oiled pan if making a crustless quiche. Pour the tofu mixture on top and gently combine.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.