Come to West Africa for lunch on the last stop during Vanessa Marsot’s sweet potato world tour, with a spicy chickpea, sweet potato, and kale curry lunch. Best of all, you can virtually take this trip from your own kitchen! She’s making a call for world veganism by visiting different countries virtually using one common ingredient. Vanessa shows us how to make this delectable oil-free curry with all whole food plant-based ingredients, plus you learn how to make your own pilau masala spice mixture.
Spicy West African Kale, Sweet Potato, and Chickpea Curry
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup pre-baked sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup onions coarsely chopped
- Approximately 2 TB Pilau Masala to make, combine in coffee grinder: 1 TB cumin seeds, ½ TB black pepper, ½ TB cardamom, ½ TB cloves, ½ cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder or fresh
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 14- ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes or 3 large tomatoes cooked with hot pepper flakes, black salt, and mesquite flavoring instead for WFPB
- 1 cup packed chopped kale
- 2-3 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat large skillet to prevent sticking and saute onions for 2-3 minutes. Add in all dried spices and cook for about 2 more minutes. Add water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add tomatoes, stir, and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add diced, pre-baked sweet potatoes and chickpeas, and remaining water. Mix until well coated with spice mixture.
- Add kale in at the last minute to keep fresh. Just cook long enough to absorb seasoning but not get wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.