CRABLESS CAKES in the air fryer!! “Seafood with compassion” with Your Vegan Friend Tonia on this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE! Are you a seafood lover and missing your crabcakes since switching to vegan? Or are you vegan-curious, wondering how you will survive without your seafood? If so this episode is for you as Tonia shows us how easy it is to have our favorite seafood, like crabcakes, while still maintaining a vegan lifestyle.
Tonia is a hairstylist and indie filmmaker from Michigan who has been doing vegan activism since 2018. She is grateful to represent the Midwest on the JaneUnchained News Network. And we love having her! Tonia has a YouTube channel called Your Vegan Friend Tonia that you should definitely check out. It is fresh and fun and filled with lots of delicious recipes, and other great videos about veganism and the vegan lifestyle. From recipes to interviews, and visits to animal sanctuaries, you can find it all on Tonia’s YouTube channel.
Tonia has been on #LunchBreakLIVE several times showing us her delicious recipes. She was recently on showing us how to make vegan tuna, which was off the wall good. You can check out that episode HERE.
Let’s check out how she created these amazing crabcakes on this show. The recipe is below, be sure to try it at home and let us know how you like it.
- 1 can of rinsed Hearts Of Palm
- 1/2 c rinsed chick peas
- 1 sheet of nori
- A bit of onion if you like!
- Either put above in food processor until chunky
- Or mash chick peas by hand and “pull” hearts of palm apart with a fork.
- Wisk 2 1/2T of aqua faba from your chick peas in a in a separate bowl for 1 min to make it frothy.
- Add 11/2T Vegan mayo
- 1 t Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1 t Dijon mustard or if you want to cut back on the hot stuff use yellow mustard
- 1/2 t liquid smoke
- 1 T lime juice
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 2 t parsley flakes or if you fancy use the real stuff!
- Cayenne pepper if you’d like I can’t handle that 🙂
- 1/2 c Panko or other bread crumbs
- Mix both mixtures together. Use your hands to shape into patties and then (if you like) cover or sprinkle with Panko bread crumbs. Place patties in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Cook in air fryer for 15 minutes on 350. OR use toaster oven or regular oven, I’m just not sure if the timing will change. Look for the bread crumbs to look toasted.
- These can also be fried in oil if you wanted.
- 1/2 c vegan mayo
- 2 t minced garlic
- 2 T ketchup
- 2 T mustard Dijon or yellow, Dijon makes it spicier
- 1/2 t paprika
- 1 capful of vinegar white or apple cider
- *use the following if you like it spicy!
- Chili powder
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl Voila! Easy!