Pizza Pizza Pizza! Everyone LOVES pizza! Tracy Childs shows us how to make a very EASY green pizza topped with homemade pesto and vegan parmesan on #LunchBreakLIVE. Tracy is founder and director of Veg-Appeal, PlantDiego, plus the recently launched Tracy’s REAL Foods, featuring freshly made vegan, whole food cookies and other plant-based snacks and treats shipped or delivered FRESH, nationwide. Get yours at www.Veg-Appeal.com/pages/Goodies. Tracy also teaches nutrition and cooking with Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine Food for Life program.
Easy Green Pizza
- 1 medium pizza crust or 2 small like pita bread. I used Trader Joe’s Kale & Broccoli crust
- Vegan Pesto recipe below
- ¼ cup tomato sauce optional
- Toppings like mushrooms, sliced tofu, onions, olives, vegan parmesan or other vegan cheese, halved cherry tomatoes, baby arugula, balsamic glaze
- Prepare the crust according to package directions (if necessary).
- Preheat the oven to 450
- Spread evenly with pesto.
- Drizzle with tomato sauce
- Add toppings that are great cooked: tofu, mushrooms, onions, cherry tomatoes.
- Bake at 450 degrees for about 7-10 minutes until the toppings are softened. You can do this on a baking sheet or directly on the rack for a crispier crust. Broiling for a few minutes is another option.
- Remove from the oven and top with arugula, vegan parmesan and finish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
White Bean & Kale Pesto
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup garbanzo or any white beans soften by heating if necessary, reserving the aquafaba (cooking liquid)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup aquafaba or more as needed
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- black pepper
- 4 cups lightly packed greens mix of basil, spinach, kale, arugula
- In a food processor, run it empty and drop in the garlic from the top to chop it evenly. Then drop in the raw cashews to chop.
- Add the garbanzo beans and pulse to chop.
- Add the remaining ingredients and pulse to chop evenly, then run it to create a smooth consistency.
Vegan Nut Parmesan
- 1/2 cup almonds or other nut or seed
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼- ½ teaspoon salt
- Add all of the ingredients in a blender or Vita-Mix
- Pulse to chop evenly, then run briefly, to chop into a powdery consistency.
- Store in refrigerator