Momma Mia! YUMMY and LOADED with antioxidants that will help keep your immune system healthy! Let’s cook Italian today the vegan way! No cruelty, no unhealthy fats, and no trashing the planet.
Learn how to make this delicious tomato sauce from southern Italy vegan-style, demonstrated by our new JNN anchor Lindsey Baker. Lindsey will use her Mom’s secret old world Italian recipe, “veganizing” it by just making a few simple substitutions. She is using Beyond Meat ground plant-based meat to make homemade meatballs and also adds Beyond Meat Sausages to the sauce to give it that old world authenticity. Lindsey’s secret Vegan Meatball recipe is available in an earlier post.
This sauce recipe is so versatile. It’s great for pasta dishes of course, but it is also the basis for many southern Italian recipes such as Stuffed Peppers, Vegan Sausage and Peppers, Vegan Ragu Sauce and Vegan Eggplant Parmesan – just to name a few.
Vegan Old World Style Pasta Sauce
- 45 oz whole tomatoes
- 16 oz plum tomatoes
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pkg Beyond Meat Sausage (Spicy)
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- In a large pot add the olive oil and garlic. Using a very low flame, toast the garlic. While toasting the garlic, use a blender to combine all four types of tomatoes, the oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Once the mixture is well blended pour into the pot with the toasted garlic. The ingredients will simmer on the stove on a low flame for 2.5 hours total, stir occasionally.
- In a skillet using approximately 1/4 cup of water, brown the Beyond Meat Sausage on a low flame. When ready, set aside.
- After the sauce has cooked for 1 1/2 hours, add in the Beyond Meat Sausage. You may also add meatballs to the recipe if you wish. Note: the recipe for my special secret Beyond Meat Meatballs is available in another post. The link is included above.
- Cook for an additional hour with the sausage and meatballs (optional) in the sauce.Note: Allowing the Beyond Meat Sausage and Beyond Meat Meatballs to simmer in the sauce blends all the flavors together for a perfect medley of Old World Southern Italian flavor.