On this episode of #SaturdaySnackDown Erin Riley-Carrasco, PETA’s sexiest vegan over 50, makes her absolute favorite comfort food, vegan crispy tofu pho soup. This soup is soothing to your mind, body, and spirit. Delicious fresh veggies and herbs combined in a delectable broth with rice noodles and protein-packed crispy tofu. Add to that your favorite fresh toppings of organic basil, mung bean sprouts, jalapeno pepper rounds and tamari, sriracha, and hoisin sauce, and you’ve created a culinary masterpiece for your tastebuds.
We all need a little comfort in our lives right now and today on #JaneUnchained #LIVE, Erin Riley-Carrasco PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)’s Sexiest Vegan Over 50 makes her absolute favorite comfort food; Vegan Crispy Tofu Pho Soup! This soup is soothing to your mind, body and spirit. Delicious fresh veggies and herbs combined in a delectable broth with rice noodles and protein packed crispy tofu start the base. Add to that your favorite fresh toppings of organic basil, Mung bean sprouts, jalapeño pepper rounds and Tamari, Sriracha and Hoison sauce and you’ve created a culinary masterpiece for your tastebuds. Enjoy! 🌱 🍚
Posted by Jane Unchained News on Saturday, March 14, 2020
We could all use a little comfort in our lives right now correct? Well, this is one of Erin Riley-Carrasco’s very favorite comfort foods. This uber healthy protein-packed vegan crispy tofu pho soup is not only comforting, but it provides your body with SO many incredibly healthy and nutritious ingredients. It’s soothing for your stomach, mind, and soul. Erin believes that food has healing qualities; after all, we are what we eat! Pamper yourself with this delicious pho soup and regenerate your mind, body, and spirit. The best part is… it is, as always, 100% cruelty-free. Enjoy! #veganpho #comfortfood #plantbasedcooking #veganrecipes #vegout #vegancomfortfood #plantbasedhealthy #friendsnotfood #loveanimalseatplants #phosoupforthesoul #phosouprecipe #veganisthefuture #vegansoup #easyveganrecipes #saturdaysnackdown #janeunchained
Crispy Tofu Pho Soup
- 2 quarts veggie broth Low Sodium
- 1 large onion
- 4 ” piece of fresh ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3/4 cup crushed Anise seeds
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or Tamari
- 8 oz Rice Noodles
- 1 lb extra firm tofu drained, pressed and cut into 1/2 “ squares
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 2 cups slice Shitake Mushrooms
- Hoison Sauce for topping
- Sriracha Sauce for topping
- mung bean sprouts for topping
- lime wedges for topping
- soy sauce for topping
- jalapeño peppers cut into rounds, for topping
- fresh cilantro for topping
- fresh basil for topping
- scallions chopped, for topping
- - Pour veggie broth into large pot and place over high heat. Bring to a simmer
- - Cut onion into 4 pieces and clean fresh ginger (no need to remove the skin) and place onto baking sheet and place on BROIL. Cook lightly until charred on top, about 4-5 minutes. Add onion and ginger to broth along with: cinnamon sticks, crushed anise seeds, cloves and soy sauce or Tamari.
- - While broth simmers, cook noodles and then drain into a colander and rinse with cold water. Make sure and don’t over cook!
- - Coat bottom of large nonstick skillet with oil and place over medium heat. Add cubed tofu and cook until crispy, for about 15-20 minutes, making sure to cook all sides. Remove from heat and transfer to paper towel to press out oil.
- - When broth has simmered for at least 30 minutes, use a slotted spoon to remove onion, ginger and spices. Add shiitake mushrooms and let simmer until tender for about 4 minutes. Then add julienne carrots and simmer until slightly tenderized, for about 1-2 minutes.
- - Place the warm rice noodles in your bowl and added the crispy tofu on top. After stirring the pho soup stock and turning off flame, ladle it over your tofu and noodles. Create your own masterpiece by adding the toppings you desire. Some of my favorites are: mung bean sprouts, fresh basil, jalapeño rounds, chopped scallions, Sriracha and Hoison Sauce.