Join in the CHEESINESS of today’s LunchBreakLIVE with Tracy Childs! Tracy is a Food For Life Nutrition and Cooking Instructor with Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine/Director of Veg-Appeal and Co-Leader of PlantDiego. She’s in San Diego showing you how to make your own “Kraft Macaroni and Cheese” mix – but VEGAN, gluten-free, and just as cheesy! It’s the cheesiest! Today LIVE on JaneUnchainedNews. You can find Tracy at Veg-Appeal.com. The vegan cheese world is exploding!
Tracy Childs reporting for Jane Unchained News Network.
Photos courtesy of Tracy Childs.
Video work by Steven Childs.
Vegan Macaroni and Cheese Mix – Pantry Staple
- 1 cup cashews 1/2 cup hemp seeds can sub for ½ cup cashews
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika regular/smoked or a mix of both
- 1 tablespoon dry sweetener of choice sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender and process into a powder. It could take a few minutes of processing to get a uniform powder. The color should brighten into a vibrant yellow as you process.
- Store in a jar or place into 1/3-1/2 cup portions in small containers. . Store in the pantry for a month or two or in the refrigerator for up to 6 months or freeze for longer!
To prepare your Mac and Cheese!
- 1 cup macaroni or pasta of choice
- 1/3-1/2 cup Vegan Macaroni and Cheese Mix
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (soy, almond)
- 1-3 teaspoons white, rice, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (to add some tang!)
Mac and Cheese cooking instructions
- a. Cook your pasta to package directions & drain
- b. Heat 1/3 cup of the mix with 1 cup non-dairy milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Lumps should diminish as the sauce thickens.
- c. Stir in the cooked pasta.
- d. Heat and serve!