The perfect Autumn comfort food on today’s #SaturdaySnackdown w/ Erin Riley-Carrasco PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)’s Sexiest Vegan Over 50. She shares her favorite delicious and healthy, whole-food plant-based Lentil Soup w/ fresh lemon and Turmeric! Perfect for the Fall weather, this recipe is full of beautiful, vibrant fall colors with the red lentils, carrots, and turmeric hues. Enjoy!
This Lentil Soup with Lemons and Turmeric is a Fall favorite in our family! Not only is it incredibly delicious, but it’s a whole food plant based recipe so it’s heart healthy and good for your soul! Add avocado slices on top as an option and serve with french bread rolls. This soup is sure to become one of your favorite comfort foods of this season. ENJOY! #plantbasedrecipes #vegansoup #comfortfood #fallandfestive #veganrecipes #soup #nooil #nocruelty #kale #nodairy #veganfortheanimals #veganforyourhealth #veganfortheplanet #saturdaysnackdown #janeunchained
LENTIL SOUP W/ LEMON & TURMERIC
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil or vegetable stock
– 2 cups finely chopped onion (1 medium)
– 1 1/2 cup carrots
– 3 teaspoons of minced garlic
– 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
– 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
– 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
– 2 cups (12 oz) red or brown lentils, picked and rinsed (*I used red lentils for their vibrant color)
– 8 cups vegetable stock (64 fluid oz)
– 2 heaping cups of shredded kale
– 1-2 lemons
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh herb (parsley or dill)
– add fine sea salt to taste
– Heat oil (or vegetable stock) in a pan.
– Add onions, carrots, & ½ teaspoon sea salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5-7 minutes
– Stir in garlic, cumin, coriander, black pepper, garlic salt, and turmeric and stir together to mix for a minute or two.
– In a stockpot, pour 8 cups (64 oz.) of the Vegetable Stock and lentils to warm. Add in the onions, carrots and seasoning mix and Increase the heat to HIGH and bring to a BOIL.
– Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, about 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
– Uncover the pot & stir in the fresh KALE and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
– Take the soup off of the heat and then stir in the juice of two lemons and fresh parsley.
– Taste and season with more salt and seasoning or more lemons.
LET COOL BEFORE SERVING!
*Optional: Add avocado slices on top