Sandra Sellani co-author of the award-winning 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook makes Porkless Hatch Chile Stew. Sandra found her 10-pound box of Frieda’s Specialty Produce hatch chiles at Ralph’s market in Costa Mesa, CA. These chiles come roasted and blackened for you in the box! When you are ready to use them Sandra says you will want to peel off the skin. If you aren’t ready to use them, leave the skin on so they have a layer of protection. Sandra explains they can be frozen as well, which many people do and then use them at their leisure. Make sure to lay them in flattened layers if you freeze them. You can also pick mild or spicy peppers depending on your palette. The hatch chiles are only available in the month of August so make sure you find them before they’re gone so you can make your own Porkless Hatch Chile Stew today!
Porkless Hatch Chile Stew
(adapted and veganized) – original recipe:
- 2 bags Gardein Porkless Bites (discard sauce packets and let the product sit until room temperature)
- 2 T. vegan butter
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1.5 t. salt
- ¾ c. vegetable stock
- 1 c. yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 Frieda’s brand hatch chiles, peeled, and diced with seeds and stem removed
- 1 c. corn kernels (cut off the cob is best)
- 1- 14.5 oz. chopped fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 t. cumin
- 2 t. organic brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 t. vegan Worsteschire
- 6 c. cooked rice
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Vegan sour cream
- Lime slices
- 2 tortillas cut into thin strips and cooked in a dry non-stick pan until crisp – sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika for extra color and flavor
- Heat 2 T. vegan butter in a stew pot on medium-high heat until melted. Add porkless bites ant saute until brown on all sides.
- Add onion and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except rice. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes
- Serve on top of rice
- Top with cilantro, sour cream lime slices and tortilla strips.