On this #SaturdaySnackDown, we are honored to feature Connie Sanchez, a Sea Shepherd Bridge Officer, who spent the last 5 years on various Sea Shepherd vessels protecting the oceans and marine life around the world. Join Connie as she prepares lunch and discusses the work of Sea Shepherd. To get involved, contact seashepherd.org and/or seashepherdglobal.org and see how you can participate in saving the oceans and marine wildlife. Lisa Karlan reports for #JaneUnChainedNews Network.
On #SaturdaySnackDown, we have Connie Sanchez, a former naturopathic doctor who adopted a new path for this chapter of her life, and who is committed to not only bringing awareness but taking direct action to address the crisis in our oceans. Connie joined Sea Shepherd in 2014 and has studied for and earned a captains license. It’s a long path to captain a Sea Shepherd vessel but she is on her way working toward a 520 gross ton license. In the next few years, Connie hopes to be at the helm as a Sea Shepherd Captain. Now Connie is a 3rd Officer serving on a variety of missions, ending the destruction of habitat and slaughter of wildlife in the world’s oceans in order to conserve and protect ecosystems and species. Sea Shepherd uses innovative direct-action tactics to investigate, document, and take action when necessary to expose and confront illegal activities on the high seas. By safeguarding the biodiversity of our delicately-balanced ocean ecosystems, Sea Shepherd works to ensure their survival for future generations.
Sea Shepherd Potato Salad with Black Olives & Artichoke Hearts AND Baked Tofu Sandwich with Garlic Hummus
Sea Shepherd Potato Salad is pure comfort food enjoyed by the Sea Shepherd crew when out at sea. The addition of diced artichoke hearts and black olives makes this potato salad unique with a cascade of savory flavors. This dish is accompanied by a delicious sandwich, such as a Baked Tofu Sandwich with Garlic Hummus on Toasted Sourdough Bread.
INGREDIENTS for Sea Shepherd Potato Salad: (6 small or 12 large servings)
- 3 lbs baby potatoes, such as Trader Joe’s Dutch yellow baby potatoes
- 8 oz vegan mayo, such as Follow Your Heart’s organic vegenaise
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 small cans (3.8 oz) sliced black olives
- 1 can (14 oz) artichoke hearts
- 3 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt or to taste
- few sprigs of fresh parsley, finely chopped
DIRECTIONS for Sea Shepherd Potato Salad:
- Wash potatoes and chop uniformly into fork-sized pieces (so they all cook at the same rate) and place into a large pot of boiling salted water. Cook for 10 minutes or until they are fork-tender. Make sure the potatoes are not too hard nor too soft.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a small bowl, mix together the vegan mayo, mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, garlic powder and set aside. Do not add the salt yet.
- Drain the can of black olives, but do not rinse and set aside.
- Drain the can of artichoke hearts, do not rinse and chop into 1/2 inch pieces. Then add to the olives and set aside.
- When the potatoes are cooked, carefully drain into a colander to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the potatoes back in the empty pot and carefully fold in the vegan mayo mixture until the dressing evenly covers all the potatoes.
- Carefully fold in the olives and chopped artichoke hearts.
- Taste to see if salt is needed and add according to your taste
- Feel free to further adjust any of the seasonings according to your taste, may want to increase black pepper an garlic powder
- Place into a beautiful serving bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator to cool for 20 min
- Garnish with fresh minced parsley or dried parsley, if fresh is not available
INGREDIENTS for Baked Tofu Sandwich with Garlic Hummus (serves 6)
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- 8 oz roasted garlic hummus (Trader Joe’s has this brand or any hummus will do, just add some minced or finely pressed to taste)
- 12 romaine lettuce leaves, cut in half (washed and patted dry)
- 7 oz (1 package) organic baked tofu (teriyaki flavor), sliced into strips
- 4 organic tomatoes, sliced
DIRECTIONS for Baked Tofu Sandwich with Garlic Hummus
- Toast two slices of sourdough bread until lightly browned
- Spread garlic hummus mixture on each slice
- Place 1/2 romaine lettuce leave on each slice
- Place sliced tofu on one slice and top with sliced tomatoes
- Fold into a sandwich and slice on the diagonal
Serve on a dinner plate with a large scoop of potato salad