Sandra Sellani co-author of the award-winning 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook makes a vegan version of California Pizza Kitchen’s (CPK’s) BBQ “chick’n” salad with homemade herb ranch today on LunchBreakLIVE. This salad proves that you can get all the flavor without any of the cruelty!
Sandra starts by making her own homemade ranch using cashews. It takes literally a minute for her to make her dressing. She says that once you make your own homemade ranch dressing, you’ll never want pre-made ranch again! Sandra tosses her prepared ingredients together into her salad bowl and then she adds her ranch dressing. She mixes it all together. Then, she gets to part two of this recipe by adding her sauteed Gardein Chick’n Strips, which she explains add a real meat texture and flavor that will appeal to pre-vegans! Sandra adds the “side toppings” next. These include chopped tomatoes, tortilla strips, chopped green onions, fresh avocado, and lime slices for garnish. Lastly, Sandra tops the salad with her homemade barbecue sauce sweetened with agave. This salad will make your mouth water before you are done making it! Try making it at home with Sandra’s veganized recipe below!
Sandra Sellani reports for JaneUnchained News Network.
Photo courtesy of Sandra Sellani.
California Pizza Kitchen Style BBQ “Chick’n” Salad from 40-Year-Old Vegan:
Homemade Herb Ranch
- 1 c. raw cashews, soaked in water overnight, then drained and rinsed
- ½ c. water
- 4 T. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ c. Rice wine vinegar
- 1 t. dry basil
- 3 T. agave nectar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ¼ t. salt
- 4-5 grinds of fresh ground black pepper
Mix in blender until smooth. It will thicken as it stands. Add more water if needed to make a thinner consistency.
- ¾ c. ketchup
- 2 T. agave nectar (or 3 if you like it sweeter)
- ¼ c. red wine vinegar
- ½ T. Annie’s brand vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ¼ T. dry mustard
- 1 t. sweet paprika
- 1 t. salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash of sriracha sauce
Combine in a blender until smooth
- 2 c. chopped Romaine Lettuce
- 3 green onions – mince the white part, save the green for toppings
- ¼ c. chopped jicama
- 1 can corn, drained and cooked in a dry non-stick pan to blacken, about five minutes – or cook on grill
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ c. Daiya brand jack style vegan cheese
- 4 fresh basil leaves chopped
- 3 T. fresh cilantro chopped
- Gardein brand Teriyaki “chick’n” strips – discard sauce packet and cook strips in a non-stick pan until browned, about 5 minutes
- 1 avocado cut into slices
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips – cook in a non-stick pan until crunch – add salt, pepper, and paprika for coloring
- ¾ c. chopped tomatoes
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- Top of 3 green onions, sliced on the diagonal
- Make the ranch and the BBQ dressings.
- In a large salad bowl, mix the lettuce, white part of the green onion, corn, beans Daiya vegan cheese, basil, and cilantro with as much of the ranch dressing that’s needed to coat the salad.
- Add garnishes and Gardein strips.
- Drizzle with BBQ Sauce and serve.