#JaneUnchained #LIVE making delicious vegan chicken korma with coconut milk. Watch Dolly make us this delicious Indian dish from Houston, Texas!
Dolly explains that we are killing over 56 billion land animals per year. Animals are dying for human consumption every second around the world. She also explains that many times these animals are pumped full of antibiotics to keep them alive long enough to be sent to slaughter. People eat their meat and they consume antibiotics as a result. This can lead to antibiotic-resistant infections. This can be avoided if we just eat a plant-based diet. Dolly found her inspiration to educate others, especially those who share her culture, after watching one of Gary Yourofsky’s speeches where he explains the cruelty farmed animals endure. She decided to focus on dairy because so many people use dairy in India. Dolly explains dairy is crueler than meat because the cows live tortured lives for years before they are sent to slaughter. Choose compassion for the victims of animal agriculture and leave the animals off your plate like Dolly.
She makes her vegan chicken korma with compassion, so she skips using chicken meat and uses faux chicken strips instead. Dolly uses spices to make the flavor pop. She recommends getting your spices from the Indian store for the best flavor. Traditionally they use a milk curd in India but dolly uses yogurt and Tofutti sour cream as a marinade instead. Next, she makes the gravy using a whole cinnamon stick and adds cumin seeds. After the gravy is ready, Dolly adds the marinated chicken and potatoes to the dish for extra heartiness. She adds edamame, more spices, and delicious coconut cream. This dish looks unbelievably good once it’s ready to be served. Dolly pairs it with a traditional Indian bread called naan, and there you go vegan Indian food right at home! We wish we were in Houston to try it but thankfully we can make our own chick’n korma with Dolly’s recipe below!
Photos courtesy of Dolly Vyas-Ahuja.
Report edited by Ellen Dent.
Vegan Chicken Korma
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup of vegan yogurt
- 2 tsp of vegan sour cream
- 1 Onion
- 2 green chilies
- 2 tsp of coriander powder
- 2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of vegetable oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ tsp of asafetida
- 1 tsp of ginger
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- ½ cup of finely chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Marinate Gardein plain vegan chicken with salt, chili powder, turmeric and vegan yogurt for 30 mins to an hour.
- Grind chilies, garlic, and ginger in a chopper mixer.
- Fry onions and blend it into a paste.
- Heat vegetable oil, add cinnamon, cumin seeds, and asafetida.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook for 3-4mins.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Mix well and add coconut cream.
- Mix well and add half of the cilantro and the other half to garnish.
- Cook on slow flame for about 30mins.