If you want food fast, but you don’t want fast food try the air fryer for restaurant quality Mandarin Orange Tofu that cooks up in about 15 minutes.
Mandarin Orange Tofu (Using an Air Fryer) from 40-Year-Old Vegan
- 1-16 oz package Extra Firm tofu, drained and cut into 1” cubes
- 1 T. organic non-GMO cornstarch
- 1 T. Coconut Aminos, preferred brand Trader Joe’s
- 1 T. seasoned rice wine vinegar
- ½ t. hot pepper sesame oil, preferred brand Eden
- ½ c. of juice from fresh Mandarin oranges, preferred brand Cuties (about 4 mandarin oranges)
- 1 T. mandarin orange zest (about 2 mandarin oranges)
- 1 T. sweetener (preferred brand Ketose Sweet granulated sweetener by Steviva)
- ¼ t. ginger paste, preferred brand Trader Joes
- 1 large glove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ T. organic, non-GMO corn starch
- 1 T. water
- 3 green onions, sliced at an angle
- Black sesame seeds
- Marinate tofu cubes in coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar and hot pepper sesame oil for ten minutes. Drain and toss with 1 T. cornstarch until the cubes are coated.
- Place tofu in air fryer. Set temperature for 375 degrees. Cook for 18 minutes, pausing the fryer after ten minutes to shake the tofu cubes and ensure even heating and browning.
- While the tofu is in the air fryer, place a skillet on medium high heat and add mandarin orange juice, sweetener, ginger paste, garlic, and pepper flakes. Heat until boiling about 2-3 minutes. While heating mix 1 T. water with ½ T. corn starch until thoroughly combined. Add to sauce mixture and heat another two minutes until it starts to thicken. Add cooked tofu cubes and stir until thoroughly heated.
- Remove from heat and stir in orange zest.
- Place in two serving dishes – top with green onions and black sesame seeds.
Alternative serving suggestion: serve on brown rice or rice noodles.