It’s hip to be square – these square noodles (quadrucci) can be easily made using – of all things- wonton wrappers. It’s a crazy twist on an Italian classic.
It's hip to be square. Sandra Sellani co-author of the award-winning 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook (bit.ly/2JVMLBL) makes Grandma’s Quadrucci (Square Noodles) Soup today on LunchBreakLIVE at 1230 PT/330 ET. Watch it live at www.facebook.com/JaneVelezMitchell/Featured product: Twin Dragon Wonton Wrappers from JSL Fododshttp://www.jslfoods.com/consumer_overview.cfm#twindragonwrappers#vegan #40YOV #40yearoldvegan #Italian #recipes
Posted by Jane Velez-Mitchell on Sunday, November 25, 2018
Grandma Sellani’s Quadrucci Soup
- 32 oz. vegetable broth
- ½ c. chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced small
- 2 celery stalks diced small
- 1 T. vegan butter
- 1 c. mushrooms, diced small
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ c. fresh flat leaf Italian parsley, minced
- ½ package (14 oz.) Twin Dragon brand wonton wrappers. Keep in refrigerator until ready to cut.
- 1 tsp. salt or more to taste
- Several grinds of fresh ground black pepper
- Toppings: vegan Parmesan, extra parsley or a squeeze of lemon
- Take the wonton wrappers and cut lengthwise into thin strips (about 1/16”). Cut the strips width-wise into squares (1/16” on each side). Set aside.
- Heat vegan butter in soup pot. Add celery, onion, garlic, and carrot and saute until soft, about 3 – 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute another minute.
- Add broth and bring to boil. Add salt and pepper.
- Add quadrucci noodles (chopped wonton wrappers) and allow to cook until they are firm to the bite – about 2-3 minutes. They will no longer appear translucent.
- Remove from heat and add parsley. Stir thoroughly. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately – top with additional parsley, vegan Parmesan cheese or a squeeze of fresh lemon.