Do you prefer red or white? When it comes to pizza, white is an excellent choice! Made with creamy Kite Hill Ricotta, it’s a healthy twist on an Italian classic.
Makes Two Calzones (Serves 2-4)
- 1- 16 oz package Trader Joe’s Plain Pizza Dough (in dairy section)
- 1 – 8 oz. package Kite Hill Brand Vegan Ricotta
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ c. finely chopped onion
- 1 T. vegan butter
- ½ t. dried rosemary + extra for garnish
- 1/8 t. salt or more to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Red pepper flakes for garnish
- Remove the pizza dough from the package and separate into two pieces. Form each piece into a ball and place on non-stick baking sheet. Press each ball of dough into a circle about 6-7 inches in diameter. Set aside.
- Heat the vegan butter in a small pan on low-medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ¼ t. dried rosemary. Rub the rosemary between your thumb and forefinger before adding it to break it up and release the aroma. Heat until mixture becomes aromatic and onions have softened. Do not overheat or burn the garlic.
- Mix the kite hill cheese with the salt, pepper and ¼ t. rosemary. Rub the rosemary between your thumb and forefinger before adding to release the aroma. Taste and add more salt or pepper if needed.
- Spread half the ricotta mixture on one half of the pizza dough between the center of the pizza and the edge of the crust. Repeat on other pizza round.
- Fold each of the pizzas in half and press edges together to form a “calzone.” Poke each calzone several times with a fork to let air escape while baking.
- Pour the vegan butter mixture over the top of each calzone, brushing it to cover the top of the calzones.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crust is golden and brown.
- Top with additional crushed rosemary and red pepper flakes. Serve immediately with a side salad.