Mix up your greens for variety! Instead of the usual broccoli and rice, try broccoli rabe with orzo.
Sandra Sellani co-author of the award-winning 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook (bit.ly/2JVMLBL) makes orzo with broccoli rabe on LunchBreakLIVE at 1230 PT/330 ET. Watch it live at www.facebook.com/JaneVelezMitchell/#vegan #40YOV #40yearoldvegan
Posted by Jane Velez-Mitchell on Sunday, September 30, 2018
Broccoli Rabe with Orzo
- 1 c. orzo pasta
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (about 1 pound)
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 T. olive oil (or water)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 T. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook orzo pasta according to package directions and drain. Set aside.
- Remove the stems from the broccoli rabe and discard. Chop remaining rabe into two inch pieces. Clean and rinse thoroughly.
- Add broccoli to a pot of boiling salted water for one minute until cooked but still al dente.
- Remove from water with tongs and plunge into bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process and keep the broccoli crisp and bright green. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water
- Sauté garlic in olive oil or water on low heat in pan until it become fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove the broccoli from the ice water with tongs and add to the pan, along with ½ cup of cooking water, red pepper flakes, lemon, cooked orzo. Turn heat up to low-medium. Mix all ingredients until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.