Fishless Fish on today’s #LunchBreakLIVE
featuring Forkin’ Plants
founder Melissa Glazewski
whipping up Golden Beet Poke, a raw fish dish that she makes with beets instead of an animal! It’s delicious, nutritious and cruelty-free! Hear Chef Melissa’s amazing story!
The roasted golden beets imitate the raw fish found in traditional poke bowls and you can get them precooked at many supermarkets, or you can roast them at home after thoroughly cleaning them. The skins peel off very easily once they are roasted. Learn something new every day on JaneUnchained.com! T
he inside of the beats even resembles the fat marbling appearance of raw chopped fish without the cruelty! You can also use other plant-based materials like tofu to make your vegan poke bowl like one live viewer chimes in to say.
Jane explains that the oceans are being depleted because of overfishing. The website ScientificAmerican.com says it has been predicted that, “the total collapse of all world fisheries should hit around 2048.” Change is necessary to conserve wild species of ocean life and time is running out. On top of overfishing, the oceans are saturated with pollution from human factors, and all of those chemicals end up in the ocean life people eat. By opting for a vegan version of your favorite seafood dishes, you can do your part to help save the oceans, and avoid eating harmful pollutants.
Amazingly Melissa has been vegan since 2005, and she quit her fulltime job in 2017 to turn her passion for food, wellness, and animals into a career. She has an Instagram page where she posts all things food, a website where she publishes blogs and recipes, and she recently launched a personal chef business where she works with people in-personal and remotely to help get more vegetables on their plate!
Her goal is to help others eat better and live healthier lives through her cooking. She “watched people she loved suffer with health issues that could have been prevented by diet and nutrition,” so she decided that she wanted to shift her focus on helping them an others through her cooking.
The ingredients in her cooking have great nutrient value from the chopped beets to the shredded ginger. It all looks absolutely fabulous and take a peak at Melissa’s enviable spice rack that helps her make her culinary magic happen! Try to make to make your own fishless poke bowl it at home with the recipe below!
Visit the Forkin Plants Website:
And Melissa’s Instagram:
Golden Beet Poke
(adapted from Action Bronson’s recipe)
Vegan + Gluten-Free
- 2 c roasted golden beets, skin removed, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp tamari or Bragg’s
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Maui onion, cut in half and sliced into thin strips
- lime juice, to taste
- cilantro, to taste
- sesame seeds, to top
- cooked white rice
1. Add the tamari, aminos, and sesame oil to a large bowl and stir to incorporate. Toss in the freshly grated ginger, scallions and the onion.
2. Add some lime juice and cilantro to liven it up. Adjust the seasoning to your liking. Add the beets and mix to coat them with sauce.
- Serve over white rice or cauliflower rice (optional) and top with more cilantro, green onion, sesame seeds, cucumber, lime wedges, kelp or dulse flakes for an ocean flavor… whatever your heart desires!
- I scrub the beets, remove the greens, wrap them in foil, and roast them whole for about 45 mins – 1 hour (depending on size) at 375°
- If you’re not gluten-free you can use soy sauce in place of tamari and aminos
- If you can’t find maui onions, another sweet variety will work
- If you don’t have sesame seeds, do what I do and top with hemp hearts!
The fishing industries are invited to respond at any time.
Report edited and compiled by Paige Parsons Roache and Ellen Dent.
Lovely Melissa, shares her culinary expertise with us and her colorful poke bowl.
Vegan golden beet poke bowl. Just as good as traditional fish without the cruelty!
Amazing Lunch BreakLIVE sign and the spread of ingredients used by Melissa to make this yummy dish!
Melissa’s enviable spice rack. Good thing her mom has the hook up because she works for a spice company!
Sesame seeds, coconut aminos, and gluten-free soy sauce sounds make this dish over the top delicious!