Get ready for summer chillin’ and grillin’ with these light but hearty toastadas.
Sandra Sellani co-author of the award-winning 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook (bit.ly/2JVMLBL) makes Miniature Roasted Poblano and “Feta”Tostadas today on LunchBreakLIVE at 1230 PT/330 ET. www.facebook.com/JaneVelezMitchell/#veganFeatured Products Violife Vegan Feta and Mi Rancho Tortillas.
Posted by Jane Velez-Mitchell on Sunday, July 29, 2018
Mini Poblano & “Feta” Tostadas from 40-Year-Old Vegan
- 14 miniature corn tortilla, preferred brand Mi Rancho Organic Corn Tortillas
- 1 tsp. cumin + one large pinch
- ½ t. paprika
- ½ c. roasted poblano peppers, diced
- 1- 15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 oz. vegan feta cheese, crumbled, preferred brand, Violife
- 1 cob of corn, preferable roasted, corn cut from cob
- ½ c. cubed jicama
- ½ c. red onion, small dice
- 2 T. chopped fresh cilantro plus extra for garnish
- 12 cherry tomatoes sliced for garnish
- 7 limes – juice 4 and slice the remaining three to get 12 thin slices
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 – 12-well muffin pan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To make the tortilla garnish, slice two of the corn tortillas into very thin strips, about three inches long. Place in non-stick pan with 1 T. of the lime juice, salt, pepper, paprika, and a pinch of cumin. Heat over medium-high heat until the strips become browned and crunchy about three minutes. Set aside.
- To make the tostada shells, take remaining tortillas, four at a time and wrap in wet paper towel. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds. Then place on the back sides of the muffin pan, fitting each tortilla in between four muffin wells to form a cup. Each muffin tin should have room for 6 tortilla. Bake the tortillas at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Let cool. They will become crunchy. No oil is needed.
- In mixing bowl, combine beans, roasted poblano peppers, corn, jicama, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, 1 t. cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly until fully combined.
- Evenly distributed the poblano and bean mixture into the 12 tortilla shells.
- Top with the sliced tomatoes, additional cilantro and a lime slice.
- Top with the thin tortilla strips and an extra fresh ground black pepper.
Makes 3 servings of 4 tortillas per person.