I used the Carrot Hot Dog recipe from Delish.com as the basic recipe, but made several changes. I omitted the oil and used more sweetener. I also used a microwave instead of the oven and didn’t marinate – this saves a significant amount of time and I like the texture of the carrots better in the microwave.
Sandra Sellani co-author of the award-winning 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook (bit.ly/2JVMLBL) makes carrot hot dogs today on LunchBreakLIVE at 1230 PT/330 ET. www.facebook.com/JaneVelezMitchell/#vegan
Posted by Jane Velez-Mitchell on Sunday, June 10, 2018
Vegan Carrot Dog
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and skinny ends trimmed
- 1/4 c. low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke
- 8 hot dog buns
- 2 au gratin dishes
- Catsup, mustard, or relish for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk together broth, vinegar, soy sauce, maple syrup or agave, garlic powder, paprika and liquid smoke. Place four carrots in each dish and over carrots with liquid, pouring half in each dish. Let marinate for five minutes.
- Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, depending or until the carrots are fork tender, but not overcooked. Start with one minute, check carrots and add another 30 seconds to 1 minute until you achieve the desired result. Each time you check, turn the carrots to cover them with the liquid.
- Place carrots in hot dog buns and serve with toppings.