Farro is an ancient grain high in protein and fiber. It’s a perfect ingredient to add protein to any salad.
Farro Salad with Walnut Vinaigrette
- 1 c. cooked farro*
- 1 red pepper, small dice
- ½ c. red kale, cut into shreds
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- ½ c. grape tomatoes, diced small
- 3 T. fresh mint, cut into ribbons
- 1 c. fresh, flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained, and rinsed
Mix all ingredients in a salad bowl until thoroughly combined.
- ¼ c. raw walnuts, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- 2 T. water
- ¼ c. fresh lemon juice
- ½ T. fresh lemon zest
- ¾ T. maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ t. salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ c. toasted walnuts (for garnish)
Mix all ingredients except toasted walnuts in blender and pour onto salad. Mix thoroughly and serve. Add additional salt and pepper if desired. Top with additional toasted walnuts if desired.
*Soak 1/3 cup farro in water overnight. To cook, drain farro and cover one cup water or broth in pot. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes. Drain and salt to taste. Add to recipe.