A tasty vegan meatball is a reality with the right ingrdients, including vital wheat gluten.
- 1 cup + 3 T vital wheat gluten, preferred brand Bob’s Redmill
- 3 T. panko bread crumbs
- 2 T. nutritional yeast, preferred brand, Bragg’s
- 1 T. fennel seeds crushed
- 1 T. dried basil
- 1 t. paprika
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1⁄2 granulated onion
- 1⁄8`teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable stock, preferred brand Pacific
- 1 jar marinara sauce (set aside 2 tablespoons)
- 2 T. liquid aminos, preferred brand Bragg’s
- 2 T. maple syrup
- Fresh basil
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl – set aside.
- Add stock, 2 T of the marinara sauce, liquid aminos, maple syrup to the dried mixture and knead until it is spongey with some elasticity. Form into “meat”balls with your hand or use an ice cream scoop to scoop and shape right from the bowl. If mixture is too dry, add a little extra water until it is pliable. Place on foil or parchment lined cookie sheet. Should yield 12-14 meatballs.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes on center rack until the outside is brown and a bit crusty. Remove from cooking sheet. If using foil, the meatballs will stick to the sheet initially upon taking out of the oven. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and they will come right off. You can also put a light coating of oil on the foil. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve with remaining marinara and fresh basil.