How to make Tasty Teriyaki, plant-based and scrumptious, brought to you by PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)‘s Sexiest Vegan over 50, Erin Riley-Carrasco, & Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine Food for Life instructor Tracy Childs! Get your apron on, baby! It’s time for #LunchBreakLIVE‘s #SaturdaySnackdown!
MAKES ABOUT 4 SERVINGS
These flavorful tempeh bites are sure to be a hit any time for a substantial protein meal or salad addition, or a yummy appetizer.
1 8-ounce package of tempeh
¼ cup coconut sugar
¼ cup tamari soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
½ cup water
½ – 1 teaspoon sriracha
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (plus additional as garnish)
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
3 cloves garlic
¾ inch piece of ginger, roughly chopped
chopped cilantro and minced red bell pepper garnish
1. Cut the tempeh block into 1/2 inch square pieces
2. Prepare the sauce by blending the ingredients in a blender.
3. Pour the sauce into a skillet and add the tempeh. Stir to coat the tempeh.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil, coating the tempeh with the sauce.
5. Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes, until the sauce is reduced and thickened.
6. For an appetizer, transfer the mixture to a serving plate and sprinkle the edges of the platter with cilantro followed by minced red bell pepper or just sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds for a festive touch.
7. This dish can also be served over a whole grain with veggies for a main dish or as a filling protein addition for salads.