Today on #LunchBreakLIVE, Lisa Karlan from Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is making the Best Tofu Scramble Ever and discloses her secret ingredient! Find this post at Michael Greger, MD’s website: https://nutritionfacts.org/…/benefits-of-nutritional-yeast…/ to learn about how the effect of nutritional yeast is beneficial against some forms of cancer. Also, check out Los Angeles Animal Save and The Save Movement to follow and find a vigil near you!
Lisa Karlan’s “The Best Tofu Scramble Ever”
- 1 yellow onion, medium sized, diced
- organic, sprouted, extra firm tofu (Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 c water, (filtered is preferable) added in small amounts, as needed to prevent sticking and to allow a creamy consistency after the nutritional yeast is added
- 5 TBL or 1/4 c + 1 TBL nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt (Himalayan or regular iodized salt)
- 1/2 tsp rainbow or black peppercorns, freshly ground
- 1 tsp black salt (kala namak) Amazon: http://amzn.to/2mWIQpv
- 2 – 3 oz organic baby spinach leaves, washed & drained
- few slices of sourdough toast
- few slices of fresh red bell pepper, 1/4 inch slices
- Heat the sauté pan and when a drop of water “sizzles,” then add the diced onions and cook until translucent and slightly browned. When the onions begin to stick to the pan, add a tablespoon or two of water and use a spatula to deglaze the bottom of the pan. (Deglazing means liquifying whatever is sticking to the bottom of the pan with liquid)
- With clean hands, crumble tofu into the sauté pan and fold into the sautéed onions.
- Add the nutritional yeast, black salt, salt and pepper and fold in adding additional water to create a creamy consistency
- Fold in the baby spinach to the sauté and continue folding until the spinach wilts.
- Serve with sourdough toast and freshly sliced, raw red bell peppers
Ingredients for Lisa Karlan’s “The Best Tofu Scramble Ever”
The Best Tofu Scramble Ever with Sourdough Toast, Fresh Red Peppers and Blueberries