- 1 package Gardein brand Teriyaki Chick’n Strips (do not use the seasoning packet for this recipe). Remove strips from bag and sprinkle with salt & pepper
- 1.5 T. Earth Balance vegan butter
- Mirepoix Mix
o ¾ c. onion diced, ¼ inch
o ½ c. celery diced, ¼ inch
o ½ c. carrot diced, ¼ inch
- 4 oz. cremini mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 1 T. flour
- 1/3 c. dry white wine (optional), preferred brand Pacific Grove (vegan)
- 2 c. vegetable broth, preferred brand Pacific
- ½ T. salt
- Several grinds fresh cracked black pepper
- Bouquet Garni
o Put 1 sprig fresh parsley, fresh thyme and bay leave in cheesecloth and tie in know
- ¼ c. cashew cream (make this by combining 1/8 c. raw cashews that have been soaked for at least two hours and rinsed, plus ¼ c. fresh water) – mix in blender until fully combined and creamy
- 1.5 T. fresh minced tarragon leaves
- 1.5 T. fresh lemon juice
- Garnish with Pete’s Living Greens Upland Cress
- Make the cashew crème in advance by soaking 1/8 c. cashews for at least two hours. Rinse the cashews and add 1/8 c. fresh water. Mix in high-speed blender until it forms a smooth “cream”.
- Heat vegan butter in large pan on medium-high heat. Add chick’n strips and cook 2-3 minutes on each side until brown. Remove from pan and transfer to a plate.
- Add the mirepoix to the pan and sauté on low heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Add mushrooms and cook another five minutes, to allow the moisture from the mushrooms to be released.
- Add flour and mix throughout, cooking for another minute.
- Add wine (optional) and turn heat to high – let boil for one minute to burn off alcohol.
- Add broth, salt and pepper, stir until fully incorporated. Add chick’n strips back to pan.
- Add bouquet garni and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for five minutes.
- Add cashew cream and cook another two minutes.
- Remove bouquet garni after squeezing to release any liquid.
- Remove from heat and add fresh tarragon and lemon juice.
- Serve with cress garnish and crusty French bread.