Sandra Sellani co-author of the award-winning 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook (bit.ly/2JVMLBL) makes vegan Albondigas Soup on #lunchbreaklive! Featured Product: Vegan Meatballs from The Abbot's Butcher available at Mother's Market & Kitchen Costa Mesa, Vegan Essentials. Muir Glen Organic. Here's the whole recipe: bit.ly/2oO1PFY
Posted by Jane Velez-Mitchell on Sunday, December 17, 2017
RECIPE FOR VEGAN ALBONDIGAS SOUP, 40-YEAR-OLD VEGAN Albondigas Soup from The 40-Year-Old Vegan
- 1 package of The Abbot’s Butcher brand vegan meatballs
- ¼ t. ground cumin
- ½ c. cooked brown rice
- ¼ c. chopped fresh mint or cilantro
- ¼ t. salt
- 2 flax “eggs” (mix 1 T. ground flax meal with 6 T. warm water; let sit for 20 minutes to thicken)
- Several grinds of fresh ground black pepper
- 4 T. panko breadcrumbs
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 2 chopped carrots
- 1 chopped celery stalk
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. oregano
- 1 t. organic sugar
- 1 t. red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 – 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes (preferred brand Muir Glen organic)
- 6 c. vegetable stock
- ½ t. salt
- Several grinds of fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 T. fresh cilantro plus extra for garnish
- Remove meatballs from the package and break up in mixing bowl with a spoon or your hands. Add all other ingredients and blend until fully incorporated.
- Use hands to make meatballs about 2 inches in diameter. Pack together tightly so they will hold their shape. If the mixture is too wet, add additional panko breadcrumbs. Place meatballs on a plate in the fridge until ready to use.
- Pour about ¼ cup of the vegetable stock into a soup pan and heat to medium-high.
- Add all remaining ingredients except cilantro and bring to a boil.
- When the soup is boiling drop the chilled meatballs into the soup one at a time. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro and stir until incorporated throughout the soup.
- Serve in bowls with additional chopped cilantro.