- 3 T. vegan butter, preferred brand Miyoko’s Kitchen
- ¼ c. yellow or red onion, small dice
- 1 large celery stalk, small dice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ c. white mushrooms, small dice
- ¼ c. chopped roasted chestnuts (about six large fresh chestnuts)
- ½ T. fresh thyme, minced
- ½ T. tsp. fresh sage, minced
- ½ t. salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- ¼ c. Marsala wine
- 1 cup almond milk, or any nut-based milk
- 1 flax egg (1 T. ground flax meal + 3 T. warm water, mixed – set aside for 20 minutes to thicken)
- 3 T. loosely packed fresh parsley leave
- 3 c. stale ciabatta bread (about 6 slices), cut into ½ inch cubes
To make the fresh roasted chestnuts:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Carefully score the top of each chestnut by cutting an “X” on the top of the rounded side of the chestnut. Do this by resting a sharp knife on top of the chestnut and hitting it with the heel of your hand until it pierces the skin. Keep your fingers away from the knife. Roast in the oven for a minimum of 15 -20 minutes, keeping an eye on them so they don’t burn. Larger chestnuts will take longer. The inside should be fork tender.
- Take them out of the oven and wrap them tightly in a kitchen cloth to keep warm. Chestnuts peel best while still warm. Remove one chestnut at a time and carefully remove the shell and the skin, then chop coarsely or break up with fingers. Repeat with remaining chestnuts. Set aside.
(You can also purchase pre-shelled and roasted chestnuts – simply remove them from the container and coarsely chop ¼ cup).
For the Stuffing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the vegan butter in a saucepan on medium heat until butter is melted. Add celery, garlic, onion, thyme, sage, chestnuts, salt, pepper. Stir until all vegetables are softened, about three minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with marsala wine and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until alcohol is burned off, about another 1-2 minutes.
- Add milk to pan and stir until fully incorporated and heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Pour milk mixture into a bowl with the bread cubes, flax egg and parsley. Stir until bread is soaked with liquid and all ingredients are combined.
- Pour bread mixture into a small baking dish, such as an au gratin dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve hot topped with additional fresh parsley.