How to make a Lentil Shepherd's Pie… Vegan Style, yummy comfort food proving you don't miss out by going plant-based! Kirsty Spraggon of KirstyTV, world famous motivational speaker, welcomes #LunchBreakLIVE into her kitchen! Kirsty's favorite recipes come from the 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook, winner of the Readers Favorite, Green Book Festival & International Book Awards is available at: bit.ly/40YOV See additional PHOTOS and get the RECIPE here:http://bit.ly/2ycnDeq
Posted by Jane Velez-Mitchell on Tuesday, September 19, 2017
How to make a Lentil Shepherd’s Pie… Vegan Style, yummy comfort food proving you don’t miss out by going plant-based! Kirsty Spraggon of KirstyTV, world famous motivational speaker, welcomes #LunchBreakLIVE into her kitchen! Kirsty’s favorite recipes come from the 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook, winner of the Readers Favorite, Green Book Festival & International Book Awards and is available at: bit.ly/40YOV
RECIPE: Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
(serves 4 – 6)
- 1 c green lentils
- 3 c water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 (6 oz) onion, uncut
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, cubed
- 1 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp Bragg Nutritional Yeast
- 1 flax egg*
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen peas, corn and carrots
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 c flat leaf parsley, chopped
- few sprinkles smoked paprika, to taste
- 1/2 c Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds (optional)
- Run lentils under running water and check for small stones or other particles – these are rare, but worth checking for.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Once boiling, add salt, onion, garlic, bay leaves and lentils. Bring heat to a low boil and cook an additional 25 to 30 minutes, until lentils are tender. Most of the water will be absorbed. Drain any remaining liquid and set aside.
- While cooking lentils, bring 1 cup water to boil in another large pot
- Add potatoes and bring to a slow boil, cooking until soft enough to mash, about 12 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes with milk, nutritional yeast and flax egg*.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook frozen peas, corn and carrots according to package directions.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add lentils to bottom of casserole dish, spread evenly to cover bottom
- Add vegetable on top, spread evenly to cover lentils.
- Add mashed potatoes on top, spread evenly to cover top of dish.
- Sprinkle with paprika and place about 6 inches under oven broiler until potatoes start to feel slightly crisp to the touch.
- Remove from oven. Top with chopped parsley and serve.
*Grind whole flax seeds in a high speed blender or coffee grinder, then measure 1 Tbsp. Mix 1 Tbsp of flax meal with 3 Tbsp water, and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes, while preparing other ingredients
Some of the ingredients for this Lentil Shepherd’s Pie…Vegan Style from the 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook by sisters, Sandra and Susan Sellani
40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook by sisters, Sandra and Susan Sellani
Lentil Shepherd’s Pie…Vegan Style from 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook