LIVE from Montreal, Quebec, Nancy Majoulian of Nancy's Kitchen is our guest chef on #LunchBreakLIVE! Nancy will explain how to veganize a popular dish of Spain, "Mushroom Brown Rice Paella." Find Nancy at www.gaialifeforce.com #JaneUnChained See additional photos and get the RECIPE here: http://bit.ly/2xQaBDU
Posted by Jane Velez-Mitchell on Wednesday, September 6, 2017
LIVE from Montreal, Quebec, Nancy Majoulian of Nancy’s Kitchen is our guest chef on #LunchBreakLIVE! Nancy will explain how to veganize a popular dish of Spain, “Mushroom Brown Rice Paella.” Find Nancy at www.gaialifeforce.com #JaneUnChained
Mushroom Brown Rice Paella
- 2 cups cooked organic brown rice, pre-soaked (4hrs) and washed
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, julienned (about 1 cup)
- 1 organic red and yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and julienned
- 1 small hot red pepper (optional)
- 3-5 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups chopped collard greens or kale (optional)
- 2 cups white button and/or cremini mushrooms, sliced, left whole depending on size
- 1 cup sliced portobello mushrooms (optional)
- 3/4 cup dried mushrooms, reconstituted (dispose of initial water after a minute, add two cups of warm water and keep the second filling do be used as broth)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnishing
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- a couple of black pepper seeds, ground
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt and black pepper, or more to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 tsp smoked paprika, to taste
- 1-2 cups filtered water (start with one cup, monitor and if necessary add the second cup)
- 1 tsp saffron threads. squeezed to taste
- few sprigs fresh rosemary for garnish
- sesame seeds for garnish
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the turmeric and only the button, cremini and portobello mushrooms, and cook for 6 – 8 minutes, nudging them around as needed to prevent burning, until they release their liquid. Put half of the mushrooms aside to use later.
- Add the red and yellow bell peppers, hot pepper and 1 teaspoon sea salt. Cook for 4 minutes, or until the peppers just start to become tender, stirring occasionally. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, or until just beginning to soften. Then, add the garlic and paprika and cook for 1 minute to caramelize the garlic. Stir in the diced tomatoes and cook for another 4 minutes, or until just beginning to caramelize, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking until there is just the tiniest amount of mushroom liquid remaining in the pan and the mushrooms have a deep golden-brown glisten to them.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the reconstituted mushrooms and parsley. Cook for another 2 minutes, or until the parsley wilts, stirring frequently.
- Add the brown rice, chopped kale/ collard greens and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the mushroom broth, water, black pepper seeds and saffron threads. Carefully stir to distribute the broth, and let the rice simmer, uncovered and untouched, for 10 minutes, or until it just begins to absorb the broth. Then, add the other half of the cooked mushrooms and gently stir to distribute throughout the rice. Level out the rice and continue to cook for another 10 to 12 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is fluffy and tender.
- Optional: to crust the rice like the traditional paella, this can be done after cooking by increasing the heat to high for 30 to 60 seconds, or until you begin to smell the rice toasting at the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat, loosely cover with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with more sea salt, parsley and rosemary. Spritz with the lemons.
- Serve immediately!
Nancy Majoulian from Nancy’s Kitchen’s Mushroom Brown Rice Paella
Portabello, Crimini and White Button Mushrooms for Paella dish