RECIPE: Koshary (serves 4)
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1 cup of brown lentils (I used sprouted lentils, as they’re healthier and faster to cook)
- 2 cups gluten-free elbow macaroni (I use rice or quinoa macaroni)
- 3-4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium red onions
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
Spicy Chili Sauce
- 3-4 cloves of garlic – finely chopped or crushed
- 2-3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1-2 tsp chili powder (or as much as is desired)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- To a pot of water, add the lentils along with a clove of garlic, half an onion, some cumin powder and salt and pepper if desired. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until cooked. Make sure not to over cook – you want them slightly al dente and not mushy.
- Add the macaroni to a pot of boiling water, cook and drain.
- Cook brown rice until perfectly fluffed.
- Make a tomato sauce by cooking the chopped tomatoes with about 1/4 cup of water and salt and pepper to taste, or use your favorite tomato sauce.
- While the sauce simmers – chop up the remaining onions into thick strips. Spread on a baking tray greased with coconut oil or some cooking spray and grill on medium heat till edges are crispy.
- To make the chili sauce, combine the garlic, vinegar, cumin and chili powder with 1-2 tablespoonfuls of the base tomato sauce.
- Serve by layering the rice, macaroni, lentils and tomato sauce, then top with grilled onions.