CLASSIC SPANISH GAZPACHO SOUP
Gazpacho is a soup made of raw vegetables and served cold,originating in the southern Spanish region of Andalusia. Gazpacho is widely eaten in Spain particularly during the hot summers, as it is refreshing and cool. However, it is popular all over spain and the recipe I prepare is a mix between Gran Canaria and Madrid style!!!!
· 8 tomatoes (not green, ripe red tomatoes)
· 1 cucumber
· 1 onion
· 1 green pepper
· 1 piece of garlic
· Extra virgin olive oil
· Wine vinegar
· Cold water
The following is a typical modern method of preparing gazpacho and this recipe is according to 2 recipes of my dearest friends Patricia and Silvia!!!
1. The vegetables are washed and the tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, garlic and onions are peeled and seeds have to be taken off the peppers.
2. I also take of the central part of the garlic
3. All the vegetables and herbs are chopped and put into a large container Some of the contents of the container are then blended until liquid, depending on the desired consistency.
4. Chilled water, olive oil, vinegar and salt are then added to taste.
5. Then immediately to the fridge as the gazpacho has to be eaten cold
6. Garnishes may be made with fresh bell pepper slices, diced tomatoes and cucumber, or other fresh ingredients.
7. We serve then the gazpacho in bowls and prepare all the garnishes in separate little bowls so that each person can add them according to their personal tastes!
Ingredients, texture, and how thick the gazpacho is made vary regionally and between families.
There are many modern variations of gazpacho, often in different colors and omitting the tomatoes and bread in favor of avocados, cucumbers, parsley, watermelon, grapes, meat stock, seafood, and other ingredients which make of the GAZPACHO one of the most international veggie dishes!!!!