Lisa Karlan from Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine makes her favorite “Unforgettable Chili” and promises to reveal the secret ingredient that makes people happy – today on #LunchBreakLIVE!!!!!
2 yellow onions, chopped into 1/4 inch cubes – reserve half for toppings
4 – 5 large garlic cloves, crushed with a garlic press or finely minced
12 oz Beef-less ground “beef” (Trader Joes)
1 jar (26 oz) organic marinara sauce (no salt added) (Trader Joes) or similar product
1 can (14.5 oz) diced and fire roasted organic tomatoes with organic green chiles (Trader Joes)
1/2 can (2 oz) fire roasted diced green chilis (Trader Joes) or similar product
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder – secret ingredient – (Shhhh don’t tell anyone)
1 tsp ground cumin
3 gentle shakes of Chili Lime Seasoning Blend (Trader Joes)
1/2 tsp red chili pepper flakes (can always use more)
Serve chili over a bowl of brown rice or over a baked potato
Suggested toppings: finely chopped onions, chopped fresh parsley & roasted/salted pepitas
- Water sauté onions until translucent and slightly browned
- Then add garlic, beefless ground “meat”, marinara sauce, fire roasted tomatoes & diced green chilis.
- Season with cumin, chili pepper flakes & chili lime seasoning
- Simmer on medium heat for approximately 3-5 minutes
- Top with vegan sour “cream” and add toppings suggested below
- Taste to determine need for more spice, and any additional red chili pepper flakes or other peppers of your choosing for heat.
Cashew Sour Cream (vegan)
1 1/2 c raw cashew pieces
1/2 c unsweetened almond milk (I used Califia Farms)
1/3 c (juice 1 large lemon)
1 Tbsp unsweetened rice vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
- Add the cashews into a dry high power blender and process until it turns to powder.
- If using a standard blender, then soak the cashews for about 4 hours, drain and blend to a cream.
- Add almond milk, lemon juice and rice vinegar and process until smooth and creamy
- Add additional almond milk, if needed to achieve the consistency of “sour cream”
1 bunch or package Microgreens
1 c cherry tomatoes
To taste – Balsamic glaze
- Rinse microgreens, drain in a colander and remove excess water with a towel
- Dress the salad with halved cherry tomatoes and balsamic glaze